Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l65e smokes from vent tube? issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l65e smokes from vent tube? issue

looks like my vent tube doesn't have a hose connected to it, car smokes when i WOT it and smells like tranny fluid. do i need a hose connected to it or can i just block off the vent tube?

car is a fox body ls swap.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

No you can’t bock off the vent.

The 4 gen F Bodies have a piece of tubing running down and tied off the toque arm behind the trans. That gets the fluid away from the exhaust some. Fluid will come out of the vent if the trans is over filled or if it gets too hot. I also remember reading on here somewhere about a redesign GM made to the trans pump to help stop fluid from coming out the vent.

Think GM designed it this way to help prevent rust from forming under our cars.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Hook up a scanner that can read trans temperature for your WOT tests. I suspect something is slipping and producing a lot of heat. Note that localized heat from e.g. one slipping clutch could cause your symptom, without heating the entire trans all that much.
Questions:
1. Is this a stock trans?
2. Do you have an external cooler on it? (If no, get one!)
3. Are you locking the TCC at WOT? (If yes, that is a no-no)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bbond105
No you can’t bock off the vent.

The 4 gen F Bodies have a piece of tubing running down and tied off the toque arm behind the trans. That gets the fluid away from the exhaust some. Fluid will come out of the vent if the trans is over filled or if it gets too hot. I also remember reading on here somewhere about a redesign GM made to the trans pump to help stop fluid from coming out the vent.

Think GM designed it this way to help prevent rust from forming under our cars.
i actually have the stock hose for it that was remove goingto try and plug it back on.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Hook up a scanner that can read trans temperature for your WOT tests. I suspect something is slipping and producing a lot of heat. Note that localized heat from e.g. one slipping clutch could cause your symptom, without heating the entire trans all that much.
Questions:
1. Is this a stock trans?
2. Do you have an external cooler on it? (If no, get one!)
3. Are you locking the TCC at WOT? (If yes, that is a no-no)
Is there a electric gauge I can you for the trans temp?
1.yes trans is stock
2.yes I have a trans cooler
3.not sure but the last time they ck it with hptunes think they said it did lock at WOT.

But the car is not running how it should might be beacuse i need a tune...
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cordova87
looks like my vent tube doesn't have a hose connected to it, car smokes when i WOT it and smells like tranny fluid. do i need a hose connected to it or can i just block off the vent tube?

car is a fox body ls swap.
Here is what I suggest. Get a length of hose and push onto your vent pipe. Pull the dipstick and have a buddy blow compressed air in the vent hose while you listen for air coming from the dipstick tube. It may take a lot of air. Post results so we can go from there.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cordova87
...Is there a electric gauge I can you for the trans temp?
1.yes trans is stock
2.yes I have a trans cooler
3.not sure but the last time they ck it with hptunes think they said it did lock at WOT.

But the car is not running how it should might be beacuse i need a tune...
The temperate sensor in the trans which reports to the PCM is plenty accurate.

Running lockup at WOT is very likely to slip the TCC unless you have a $1000+ triple disk converter. This could be causing the heat. You really want to know for sure how it is tuned. See this current thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ockup-not.html
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The temperate sensor in the trans which reports to the PCM is plenty accurate.

Running lockup at WOT is very likely to slip the TCC unless you have a $1000+ triple disk converter. This could be causing the heat. You really want to know for sure how it is tuned. See this current thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ockup-not.html
here's where i am . Now that I have found the hose that goes connected to the vent tube tranny doesn’t smoke problem solve there. Car is not shifting gears like it did seem like it’s on over drive or haul bottom holding the second gear and third until about the time I am ready to ease out of the throttle...then downshift. Most of the time if I roll in hard enough I want it to drop to first it seems to do the same thing...delay until I have accelerated to the point I no longer really need or want a downshift.. I can only assume maybe since I connected the hose its holds more pressure over the vent tube just being open. Ill check the converter locks or unlocks could this be it? or Maybe I need a correct data tune in my PCM for the tranny not sure what’s on there right now. I do know it has the wrong gearing and tire size to what I have. But keep in mind the car shift before fine now 2 shifts at 3rpm third won’t unless I release gas then let the RPM go down or it might but the RPM just goes up to passing 4rpm. Hope I can get some pointers on this issue if it’s the pcm can anyone referred me to a sponsor or anyone that can tune my PCM correctly
Old 10-22-2014, 01:37 PM

You re-posted you last post as a new thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...2-3-gears.html

So, lets continue there with that question.

Quick Reply: 4l65e smokes from vent tube? issue