Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on buying used trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions on buying used trans

I'm currently compiling parts for a build this winter. Thus far I have scored a MWC 9" with all the add-ons, MWC rear suspension, and a PST 3.5" driveshaft, all for free. Next I need a trans. So after searching, I've come across a Performabuilt Lvl 2 and Yank 3600 combo on CL for half price of new. Supposedly they have only had a couple passes made on them. It's already out of the car, so I can't actually take a ride and verify its working like I did with the rear. Appears the guy is just parting out his build. It is located near my girlfriend's parents house about 4 hours away. So I'm passing it off as offering to go home with her and just picking that up "while we are here" lol. For that reason, travel/distance is a non-issue. Mainly just trying to establish whether or not this deal is worth the gamble. I haven't really been screwed at all, but that still doesn't make me trust people. Any insight would be great, as I need to let him know pretty soon whether or not I'm coming.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I would go for it. Even if the trans doesn’t, work you should have a good core to work from for a rebuild. Same as the TC, if it’s bad you can send it back to be rebuilt probably cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Launching!

That's what I was thinking. Even in worst case scenario, I believe I'm still ahead. $1500 for the combo. But I know very little about the value of used parts, which ones hold and which ones drop significantly, so I wanted to ask. Thanks for the response!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree with bbond105, but with one caveat....
I would remove the trans pan and examine the magnets for any metal which would indicate a catastrophic failure. If obvious metal, I would pass.
Also, if there is a lot of friction residue, that would give me pause unless the price came down a bit more.
If unsure, post pictures of what you find.

On the other hand, if there is no obvious metal and the fluid is clear pink, you likely have a good deal.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I paid $750 for my Yank 3200 and there should be that much left in the trans even if you have to send it back to Performabuilt for refreshing or better yet you do it yourself.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Excellent. I'll be sure to thoroughly look it over. Another thing... He listed it as rated to 650 horsepower. Now, since the website lists the lvl 1 rated to 500 rwhp, and the lvl 2 to 700 rwhp, I assumed he had a level 2. I mentioned this and he said yeah you're right, but didn't say specifically which it was. I'm far too **** about the details to just run with that. Is there a number anywhere on the case that I can ask for to confirm which level it is, build date, etc?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The only confirmation would be to call Performabuilt, assuming they sold to him. I have no idea if they attach a serial number somewhere.
Assuming there is no metal in the pan and fluid is clear, you are getting a good deal either way.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I planned to call them. Just figured there would have to be a number on it somewhere that they would need to look it up. I know it's a good deal either way... I just tend to psyche myself out a little thinking there's gotta be a catch lol. But I went ahead and committed to buying it for his asking price if he would hold it until I get up there on Sunday. So I'll report back then. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Opinions on buying used trans