Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on convertors....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick question on convertors....

Ok im trying to convince my buddy into getting a convertor for his 98 Z28.only mods are SLP intake and MAC headers with no exhaust(yes its loud).The car is his daily driver,so hes worried that if he puts in a 3200 or highger stall,the car will be useless to him.hes run a 12.9@106 so far with a 1.97 60' on street dunlops.you cant launch the car any higher than 1700rpm or so before it breaks loose.i know with that mph that the car is capable of a 12.5 if not not quicker,but due to the fact he cant launch the car hard he just cant get there.and now he wants to throw a 100-125 shot at it,and im telling him that with the stock vertor in there its A)dangerous and B)not worth it because he wont be able to utilize the full potential of it.
So my question is,how streetable is a 3200rpm stall.He thinks that the car wont move from a stop until the motor hits ~3200rpm,but i tell him thats not true,he'll just encounter a little more slippage until he really gets moving.Am I right?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1again
wont move from a stop until the motor hits ~3200rpm,but i tell him thats not true,he'll just encounter a little more slippage until he really gets moving.Am I right?
Plenty streetable. From what I hear you can move for normal driving not much over 2k rpm. It will even inch forward at idle on flat ground. The advertised stall speed should be thought of as the "flash" stall speed, it goes up towards that RPM when you romp on it. He would have to get drag radials to hope for traction, though.

Do a search, there are some good threads with specifics.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 3500 stall last week and I would say it is very streetable and would not have any issues with daily driving other than being way more fun to drive every day.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i JUST put in my vig3200 which is more like 3800. when driveability is talked about i think that having a converter is adding to droveability bcuz YOU WILL DEFIANTELY DRIVE IT MORE. i love drivin my car now. i would tell him to go no lower than 3200. if ur buddy thinks his car WILL be useless now then once he gets a converter he will think twice about his car being useless. if he cant launch any higher than 1700rpm then he will defiantely need drag radials. unless he wants to sit and spin, and hit the limiter. when i first heard about "slippage" i was confused. it doesnt give the feeling like something is slipping. all you gotta do is give just a lil more gas and it moves just fine.tell your buddy to get a TC and not to worry one bit. i looked deep into TC;s b4 i got one and now wished i got one b4 i put the first tank of gas in it when i bought it.

my car

J