Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TransGo Problem

Well, I just got my shift kit installed today on my 4l60E with the JET power servos. I take it down the street and give it a 1/3 throttle test; worked fine. I then give it a 2/3 throttle test; worked fine. I'm happy so I go home and park it. I then take it out on a drive and get about a mile from home when it wont shift out of first. I pull of the road and see fluid everywhere. I get underneath the truck, and see that the servos have come out of the housing. When I get it towed home I lift it and see that the servos blew out the housing and broke the lip on the servo housing off. The fracture is right where the retaining ring sits, so I know the ring was installed properly. For some reason the shift kit caused too much force on the servos. I tried to call TransGo today but they were already closed. What's the deal, is this tranny salvageable or am I screwed? What could have gone wrong? The shift kit was installed as stated in the paper instructions, and the band clearances checked out ok. I added two washers to the 1-2 accumulator, and added 1 shim to the servos.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Restricted User

The problem is that the steel retaining ring was not fully seated, just the oppisite of what you thought. I have seen this complaint before, from the ring not being fully seated. It depends on how much of the ring area was broken off, if the case is savable.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
The problem is that the steel retaining ring was not fully seated, just the oppisite of what you thought. I have seen this complaint before, from the ring not being fully seated. It depends on how much of the ring area was broken off, if the case is savable.
One of the three lips broke off right at the ring seat.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Restricted User

How much did you lose in inches or fractions of an inch thereof, in the broken area?
Old 05-25-2004, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

The lip that broke off is about 3in long measuring along the curve, and is about 1/2in thick
Old 05-26-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

It was definantly from not getting the ring in all the way. It is a bitch to do by yourself and easily not completely in.

Did the metal come from the case or off the servo cover?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Restricted User

If this is the case..... You will need another one. SORRY.....

Quick Reply: TransGo Problem