Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JD Hy-Guard fluid in 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LosLs1's
Hey Jake another question I'm running two coolers one cooler is mounted in front of my car then I have the line exting the cooler going all the way to the back of the car where the battery is located when it's relocated (4th gen Fbody) going to another cooler that's inside of a aluminum cell and I just add ice during a race... So the exit line goes back to the rear cooler fitting.. Do you think I'm runnin too much hose line that might cause a drop in pressure?
That won't cause a drop in line pressure but it could cause some other issues.
Call the shop and I'll explain.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
You won't be able to apply as much power on a footbrake, so not as much heat but anytime you have an engine making power, it has to be transmitted. It will either be transmitted THROUGH the drivetrain, or if you try to prevent that by footbraking/transbraking, you will transmit it back into heat.

The rough rule of thumb for an internal combustion engine is that 1/3 of the engines heat is used for combustion to make power, 1/3 goes out the exhaust, and 1/3 is lost to the cooling system.

Think of that in terms if how much heat it takes to make the power, and if most of that power is going back to heat...
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

GM, im reviving this thread purposely. Are any of you guys still running hygard low viscoscity still? More so in a street car that does NOT see alot of transbrake use? Has anything changed, or been learned since this thread?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

HyGaard is fine.
Add a qt or two of "normal" trans fluid for the red color to make seeing it on the stick easier.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

totally anecdotal data:

I have used the LV hygard to try and squeak a few more footbrake rpm's out of cheapy 500 dollar converter and it really doesnt seem to help. I dont think the hydraulic characteristics are that much different than dex 6

it does have the benefit of being $15 a gallon instead of $25 a gallon for dex 6

i havent been able to race this year due to the covid stuff so I dont know how actual race conditions will treat the dex6 in a transbrake car, but test hits have the temps peaking at about 220*F ...takes about 4 seconds to spool a cast compressor small turbine s475 with a 4.8.

the fluid looks good after 20+ test hits. nothing in the filter, steels and frictions look happy so fingers crossed

again thats just one data point
Old 05-21-2020, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas. I was once going full send turbo, at the time I had done this research, I was going with this hygard for my Jakes stg 4 4l80e. 2yrs later, i have since switched to NA and am embracing more of a streetcar theme(street tires, pumpgas, cruising) prolly only use my transbrake at red lights to make noise and be an azzhole kinda thing. Gunna be running an FTI hardhit 4000 9.5" triple disc lock up converter. Im very aware its just gunna blow the tires away. Recently got the car running, and thru this hygard into the trans. Gunna top it off with red atf. But my garage pals including engine builder were makn me nervous running it. Bla bla bla about detergents clutch packs, etc. I dunno. Im prolly just gunna run it. What type do you guys suggest to mix it down with for the atf?
p.s. only reason I revived this thread, next weekend im switching out my deep trans pan for a shallow one from hughes. At my buddies shop. They have a fluid pump. And itd be very easy to just pump the hygard mostly out n ditch it all together.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

just mix in dex6
Your garage pals and engine builders should stick to engines and beer...
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
just mix in dex6
Your garage pals and engine builders should stick to engines and beer...
LOL! It seems there are people like this every where...

Quick Reply: JD Hy-Guard fluid in 4l80e