Sponsored by:

Who has done the "3rd gear spool mod"

Old 11-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has done the "3rd gear spool mod"

As shown here by sloppymechanics:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...oppytransbrake

Has anybody done this mod and can point out connectors or write a small guide on the actual wires used? The link has a schematic, but it would be easier for me and other future users if there was a write-up. I tried searching and didn't find anything, so I am sorry if a guide has already been posted. I may write something up when I finally get the car together, but that will be wayyyyy down the line. Thank you.

-Tyler
Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Forcing a 3->1 downshift as you go WOT out of the lights might be hard on the trans. Perhaps a 4L80E expert like Jake will have an opinion.
In the article the "dropping back into 1st helps bump the tire and leave harder than just letting it roll off the brakes." got my attention because most people with turbos have traction problems and sure don't want to "bump" the tires even more.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Forcing a 3->1 downshift as you go WOT out of the lights might be hard on the trans. Perhaps a 4L80E expert like Jake will have an opinion.
In the article the "dropping back into 1st helps bump the tire and leave harder than just letting it roll off the brakes." got my attention because most people with turbos have traction problems and sure don't want to "bump" the tires even more.
Those are really good points. I was thinking it would be an interesting alternative to a trans brake that could also possibly be easier on everything. I don't think you would be WOT off of the line because of the traction issue though. Thanks for the reply!

-Tyler
Old 11-26-2014, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I use it to build boost on the line without spinning the tires or overpowering the brakes.
Flip of a switch a millisecond before green and she will blow right threw the brakes and launch like no other

Being that in the 4L80e when its in third the forward clutch is already engaged IDK how hard it is on the trans if any harder then a legit transbrake.

Hopefully a 4L80e expert can chime in.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Any updates on this guys ?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68roadrunner
Any updates on this guys ?
After 3.5 years probably not lol

Search this Thread