Sponsored by:

Choosing a Lock up converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choosing a Lock up converter

Hello,

I'm in the process of putting a 4.8L motor into my GN. It's going to have a 75mm Turbo and a 4L80E.

I have the option to run some different options with the torque converter as I work for a large manufacturer and we can make whatever I want.

I'm thinking of running around 3800 stall because I want this thing to spool with zero hesitation. I will be using a 265mm 6 pad core. I can either run a billet single piston or build it with a mutli plate clutch pack. If I do it with the single I will not be locking it up anywhere but on a highway cruise or open road. If I build it with the multi plate set up I guess I would have the ability to play with locking it up on the track.

What are the Pro and Cons of using a Multi Plate set up that you guys have dealt with?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I recently bought a triple disk 3600 stall from CircleD.
As soon as the track opens next spring I hope to make three comparison runs:
1. No lockup
2. Lockup only in 3rd
3. Lockup in 2nd and 3rd (but unlock during the shift)

I expect a slight improvement in ET and a more significant improvement in trap speed by being able to lockup.

You are absolutely correct that a single disk converter should never be locked up on the track. (Typically not above 30-50% throttle.)
Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I guess my big concern is whether or not there is a realistic benefit to the lock up on the track. I have some customers that say yes and other say no. Is the lock up tuning complicated? I am not looking to complicate my program. I will be using a Holley Dominator to control the transmission.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not achieve the 3800 stall speed with the 265mm core on 4.8 L of displacement. I would suggest you look at the 258mm optimally, or possibly even a 245mm. If you can swing it, the WOT lockup would pick up some et and mph with the turbo by helping load it up. What multi disk kit do you plan to use? Transmission Specialties?

-Brian
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Good guess. It will be TSI stuff. I was a little skeptical about the 265 getting there. The plan was to use a loose pump and cut, 18 window stator. I'm not 100% sure the 258mm stuff will work with our cover but I can check on that. Thanks for the info. I don't feel like building this thing 2 times.

Quick Reply: Choosing a Lock up converter