My T56 to 4L80E Build

Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
Did you buy the speartech harness? I was wondering if the pins have to be messed with at all
Old 09-03-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Did you buy the speartech harness? I was wondering if the pins have to be messed with at all
I had a truck harness laying around and used the trans part of it and just swapped the wires.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I had a truck harness laying around and used the trans part of it and just swapped the wires.
Gotcha. So do you think that would work with a t56 harness? The way i understand it right now.... and this confuses the **** outta me. The speartech harness plugs into the t56 harnes and then plugs into the 80e connectors? So it then converts it to a manual VB?

Last edited by NnOoSsSs; 09-03-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm confused at what your asking. I added a whole auto trans connector/harness and extra speed sensor so the PCM controls all the shifts. If you wanna go FMB Im sure you can just plug in the speed sensor so your speedo works
Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

I'm confused at what your asking. I added a whole auto trans connector/harness and extra speed sensor so the PCM controls all the shifts. If you wanna go FMB Im sure you can just plug in the speed sensor so your speedo works
Oh ok i see. Yea i can see how my previous post can be confusing haha. I know my answer to what i was trying to ask now. I really want to try and avoid messing with to much wiring so i am going to just buy the speartech harness i think.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Hey dementia are you reusing youre stock Torque Arm?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

If i can get away with using the stock TA with a TA relo 4l80e cross member then I'm going to for now till I get a rear end built. Then I'll go aftermarket TA.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Dementia, how are things going for you. I am about to throw the Trans in and button everything back up. I have been taking pics and will probably make a thread once im closer to being done.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry things have been slow for me in my quest for parts. So far I have the following:

Jakes stg 5 4l80e
FTI 10in Triple Disc Converter (3600 stall per FTI's recommendation)
B&M Pro Stick Shifter
Mezier FP319 Flex Plate w/ ARP Bolt kit (awaiting delivery)
B&M 4L80e TA relocation crossmember (awaiting delivery)
Energy Suspension Torque Arm Bushing (poly)

Dragging my feet but probably about to bite the bullet on a CompushiftII within the next week. Initial wants were to get this with paddle shifters but after reading around, I'm opting for just the controller as I dont want to feel the wrath of the insurance company should i ever need them in an accident and they realize that I removed my airbag to go with paddles on an aftermarket wheel.

Once thats purchased I guess i just need a couple more small things. Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything:

Harness (If I'm not mistaken I wont need this as it looks as though the CompushiftII comes with a harness)

Tranny Bushing (Just thought of this as I bought my crossmember could use opinions quick on rubber or poly on this part. thinking rubber as I already have poly motor mounts and all poly might cause more vibrations than I want - not sure though)

Transmission Cooler - B&M Super Cooler/Oil Cooler 70274

Braided Line/Fittings (Could use some rough guestimates on how much line I'll need and a good place to buy them. Wanting to stick with my ultimate plan of black braided lines with aluminum/bare metal finish fittings.

Dipstick & tube (really need help on where I should get this at. researched a bit and it seems as though I just hear horror stories)

Some materials to fab up a shifter hole block off plate/mounting surface.

NnOoSsSs - hows your build going man? I'll try to find a thread if you've started one yet as I realize I'm late in replying to your post (sorry guys been a rough couple of months for me). Hope thigns are going well and I definitely look forward for some pics. I still like to think I'll be able to do this install all by myself but with as little free time, limited space, and general lack of the proper tools for whatever job that seems to be at hand, I have a feeling I'll end up taking it in to my local performance shop.

Last edited by dementia; 03-16-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Any opinions on the Compushift 2?

Any opinions on rubber vs poly transmission mount considering i currently have poly motor mounts?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Hey man things are coming along slowly for me also but i hope to finish thing up in the next couple of weeks. I will take some pics and share them with you i do have a thread in the trans am section but i think it died so i will probably make one in this section.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Mezier plate, bolt kit, and BMR crossmember arrived tonight. Plate and the crossmember look fantastic but the bolts I received are Mezier bolts and not ARP bolts that I had asked for when I ordered.

Researching it, the Mezier bolts look to be rated at 170k PSI tensile strength whereas ARP bolts are rated at either 180k or 200k PSI depending on the varying levels they carry.

Do you guys have any experience with Mezier bolts? Are they strong enough for 850-1500hp? I'd appreciate any immediate input as if I need to return these I'd rather do that sooner than later.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Compushift2 is ordered finally. Confirmed with the makers and it includes all harnesses with it so I can x that off my list as well.

Next up tranny cooler and lines, dipstick and tube, and tranny mount.

Started a thread on the tranny mount but got 0 traction on that. Going to play it safe and go with rubber mount. Looks like that's going to be AC Delco part#22174970.

Have:
Jakes 4L80e stg5
FTI 3600 triple disc billet lockup convertor PMLS4-15B-3
Mezier billet flexplate FP319
Mezier flexplate bolts
BMR tq arm relo crossmember BMR-TCC021
Energy suspension Poly Torque Arm bushing 3-1111
B&M Pro Stick Shifter BMM-80706
B&M tranny brackets&levers BMM-75498
B&M neutral reverse safety switch BMM-80609
CompushiftII (pending delivery)

Need:
Tranny Cooler
Cooler Lines & fittings
Dipstick and Tube
Rubber tranny mount

Does it sound like I'm missing anything at all? Also any recommendations on dipstick and tube?

Last edited by dementia; 03-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia
Compushift2 is ordered finally. Confirmed with the makers and it includes all harnesses with it so I can x that off my list as well.

Next up tranny cooler and lines, dipstick and tube, and tranny mount.

Started a thread on the tranny mount but got 0 traction on that. Going to play it safe and go with rubber mount. Looks like that's going to be AC Delco part#22174970.

Have:
Jakes 4L80e stg5
FTI 3600 triple disc billet lockup convertor PMLS4-15B-3
Mezier billet flexplate FP319
Mezier flexplate bolts
BMR tq arm relo crossmember BMR-TCC021
Energy suspension Poly Torque Arm bushing 3-1111
B&M Pro Stick Shifter BMM-80706
B&M tranny brackets&levers BMM-75498
B&M neutral reverse safety switch BMM-80609
CompushiftII (pending delivery)

Need:
Tranny Cooler
Cooler Lines & fittings
Dipstick and Tube
Rubber tranny mount

Does it sound like I'm missing anything at all? Also any recommendations on dipstick and tube?
I went with the lokar dipstick since thats what my buddy has, as far as tranny cooler goes i picked one up from derale. Im glad you posted that part number for your shifter as i will probably order that one in the next couple of days. Im getting ready to go measure my driveshaft length now so im hoping my old one will work
Old 03-25-2016, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

As far as the mount goes i just went with a stock replacement
Old 03-25-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

ill take some pics for you also and post them when i get back
Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

sweet man, do you have the part number for the tranny mount? that ac delco piece was the closest i could find and correct me if i'm wrong stockers are ac delcos?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

NP for the part number on the shifter. It feels like a great piece. I also ordered the aluminum shift **** for it with the phoenix. Had to buy some adapters to make it work but i love the way its going to look. The adapters are a little on the small (read short) size so i'll be brazing 2 of them together but it should come out perfect.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia

NP for the part number on the shifter. It feels like a great piece. I also ordered the aluminum shift **** for it with the phoenix. Had to buy some adapters to make it work but i love the way its going to look. The adapters are a little on the small (read short) size so i'll be brazing 2 of them together but it should come out perfect.
Nice thats awesome does it come with the cables also? I bought some off brand one i think its from this company called anchor. Its the same just like the ac delco.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My T56 to 4L80E Build