Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e identification help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e identification help

Hey guys im running into some issues that maybe somebody could help me with. Im getting to the point of frustration and its becoming not fun . First off I have an aluminum 5.3 out of a truck, with a bunch of ls1 components that should be around 425-450hp. The set up will be going into a 66 nova.

Now to the transmission. I bought this set up from another person so I dont know exactly what I have. It is a 4l60e supposedly built to a stage 2 by BMR transmissions (now out of business). I also have a 3500 stall torque converter that came in a roadrunner converter box (not sure exactly what it is for, i'm guessing an LS1). The bell housing appears to be out of a V6 from what I've read because no 12 oclock bolt hole. The tail shaft has the 6 bolts, which I understand to be from the V8. It has the numbers M30 and 92 stamped on the housing. The tag at the top is gone. Ive tried to put it all together but the trans and block are not completely touching on the bottom at the oil pan (maybe a 1/2" gap). The top seats fine but maybe its because I torqued the top first.

My questions are, can anybody help me make sure I have the V8 transmission? Is there a specific torque converter I need? I figured all ls1 converters are the same dimensions. Any reason why there is a tiny gap and is that something to worry about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you take a few pics of the trans and converter and that will help identify what you have. Also take a shot of the flexplate.

Chris
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Chris should have been more specific - take pictures of the front of the trans, particularly of the input shaft.

These threads might help you understand the differences:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...uld-i-buy.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...s1-4l60-e.html
Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm having a hard time uploading photos. The motor and trans are together right now. Once I get them apart again I will try to get pictures of the input shift and torque converter. It appears the converter matches the picture on roadrunner torque converter website for an ls1 3000 -3500 stall. From the 3 pictures of input shafts I believe I have the 300 mm shaft.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Default There could be a difference

There were really three different bellhousing for the 4L60E. The 60 degree V6 had a different bellhousing than the 90 degree v6/v8 bellhousing. It's best to figure out the code in order to properly identify the 4L60E Transmission.

Quick Reply: 4l60e identification help