Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny line came off on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny line came off on highway

Hey all, my problem has only happened twice in the 10 years I've own the car, not difficult to fix, but I was looking for answers as to what causes it in the first place. Both times were when it was cold (~25 F)

Shortly (less thank 5 minutes) after starting the car and driving off, one of the rubber transmission hoses slipped off of the 5-8mm metal pipe and dumped about 8 qts of fluid out, making the car undrivable (duh) until it is put back on, secured better (knock on wood), and the tranny refilled with fluid. It is one of the lines that run fairly close to the exhaust.

My thoughts were either: 1) the tranny fluid is cold and too much pressure is in the line, popping off the line. 2) because it is cold, the metal pipe shrinks just a bit and the rubber hose can slip off while under pressure, or 3) I should just periodically check the clamps every 6-8 months because there is not much for the rubber hose to grab on to (no bulge on the pipe like on a waterpump neck or something)

The last time this happened was over 6 years ago, so it's not a recurring problem, just wanted to see if there was something else I could do to prevent it because being stranded on the freeway isn't my idea of a good time. Thanks in advance for input or ideas.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might help if you slightly flare the end of the pipe just enough so you can get the hose on it and then put your clamp on.

Quick Reply: Tranny line came off on highway