Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E rebuild issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E rebuild issue

I've done a search and found a couple of threads similar but I figured I'd ask my own. I just got the pump installed. The input shaft turns clockwise very easily but will not turn counter clockwise at all. The output shaft turns easily clockwise as well and I can turn it counter clockwise with a bit of force with the vice grips but the input shaft doesn't turn...... Any ideas? Input shaft end play seems ok. The pump was tougher to install that I would have thought. It went in until it was about 3/8 inch from full seating and then It had to be snugged in with the bolts. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

It should turn both ways. You must have jammed somthing when installing the pump.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Right, in the input shaft should turn in both directions equally with only modest force.
The output shaft will turn moderately easily in one direction (engine rotation), but is about 3-4 times harder to turn the other way.

Snugging the pump with the bolts was a bad idea; you may have damaged something, perhaps bent the pump halves.
The input shaft needs to have end play; I think the spec is .010 to .030.
I suspect you have none.

Remove the pump and compare the height with the original pump. There are several different stator lengths which have been mixed up before.

Also be sure to use TransGel or Vaseline to hold the spacer, between the pump and reverse drum, to the pump as you install it. Make sure the pump seats fully, barely tighten a few pump bolts (like 1 ft/lb) and verify you have some input shaft end play.

Quick Reply: 4L60E rebuild issue