Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Help Needed....I think

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E Help Needed....I think

1999 Sierra 5.3L 4x4 with what I think is a transmission issue but I can't tell if it is that or my transfer case.

Issue: Very rapidly my truck just started grinding like crazy in reverse. It sounds like a gear stripped (sun gear or rear planetary set maybe)? I noticed my speedo is climbing as well when in reverse but i'm not moving...

The trans only has 40K on the rebuild and has the "beast" sunshell, upgraded servos, clutch packs.

Does anybody know what would cause it to grind in reverse like that? Does it sound like more of a transmission issue or transfer case?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The VSS (speed) sensor is located on the trans output shaft. Therefore if your speedometer is reading but the truck is not moving, the problem is after the output shaft. So, yes, sounds like the transfer case or differential.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only in reverse?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by lewingjr
only in reverse?
That is puzzling, but even if the truck has the VSS somewhere else, it has to be at or after the output shaft.
Without the stranger speedometer behavior I would also suspect something in the trans, like the sunshell.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrvedit
That is puzzling, but even if the truck has the VSS somewhere else, it has to be at or after the output shaft.
Without the stranger speedometer behavior I would also suspect something in the trans, like the sunshell.
Thanks for the reply guys. Actually, i now noticed it is happening in drive too...but i can move a little before the grinding starts. In reverse, it won't even move.

I thought the VSS was on the transfer case for 4WD? If so, I guess that does mean my trans is spinning the output shaft?

I'm planning on trying to pinpoint the grinding to the T-case or Trans with an electronic stethoscope. Will report back.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Help Needed....I think