Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good place to order a stock torque converter for a 4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good place to order a stock torque converter for a 4l60e?

My rebuild is starting tomorrow and I've gone back and forth between flushing my original torque converter (140,000 miles of easy driving with regular complete fluid exchanges) or buying a new or reman basic stock one. My last complete fluid exchange was around 5,000 miles ago.

If I were to buy one, who is a good place to get a (boring) stock one for a '96 C1500 Chevy truck, 4l60e 298mm? It's a daily driver so nothing fancy is necessary, but I would want something reputable.

Last edited by coryforsenate; 03-13-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dayco or Precision of new hampton seem to be the leading OE companies. If you want some upgrades over stock like a flanged hub vs butt mount, Spun wound lockup clutch lining, and internal hand TIG welding give us a call. A 298mm is a walk in the park.

-Brian
Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brian, thank you for the reply. I was hoping one of the sponsors would chime in. Yes, just spending $150-200 for a basic stock replacement is something I was originally looking at (assuming it's reputable, don't want a crappy TC to die and take out my freshly rebuilt transmission).

But if I can spend a couple hundred more and get a very high quality one that's made for my personal daily driver truck and will last for years, I'm very open to that.

I just noticed you're in Houston. I'm 1.5 hours away from you, in College Station. Logistically, that makes things really simple. I imagine y'all are closed now since it's 6pm, but should I call Monday morning and ask for Brian?

-Cory
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm absolutely sure you would be delighted with a modest stall speed converter. A quality converter gives you the best ROI of any performance upgrade.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
Brian, thank you for the reply. I was hoping one of the sponsors would chime in. Yes, just spending $150-200 for a basic stock replacement is something I was originally looking at (assuming it's reputable, don't want a crappy TC to die and take out my freshly rebuilt transmission).

But if I can spend a couple hundred more and get a very high quality one that's made for my personal daily driver truck and will last for years, I'm very open to that.

I just noticed you're in Houston. I'm 1.5 hours away from you, in College Station. Logistically, that makes things really simple. I imagine y'all are closed now since it's 6pm, but should I call Monday morning and ask for Brian?

-Cory
College Station is pretty close. Less distance for things to go wrong haha. Our phone number is 713-895-8834. You can certainly ask for me.

-Brian
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Order placed for a Circle D torque converter, a basic one for a daily driver. Should be ready in a week.

Quick Reply: Good place to order a stock torque converter for a 4l60e?