Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB

So, I bought a built th400 from a member on here. Its a TCI trans with a JW bell, trans brake and RMVB. It has a FTI SST 9" 3600 stall mated to it, in a Carb swapped LSx, 98 z28.

I was going to test drive it a few months ago, but it had a leak at the trans cooler lines area. turned out to be a crack in the case. So I picked up a core th400 and cut off the bell housing and swapped all my parts into it. Not knowing that I needed to add a 1/4" check ball into the accumulator drain and file down a passageway for the transbrake release.

Well, I put the trans together and test drove the car. No reverse at all. The car goes into neutral, and 1st gear works awesome. But I got off the throttle and tried to "cruise" in 2nd/3rd gear. it really didn't move the car until I was about WOT. But I tried reverse with the lever, no dice. I also tried reverse in neutral with the trans brake energized, no dice. Also, I put it in first gear and got on the trans brake, it went forward with no problem.

I was told it could be the check ball that I missed, or filing down the passage way, but I looked at the old case and neither of that was done to that case either. Im really getting frustrated at this point. Please someone, chime in and save me here so I can take my car out for testing I bought the car a year and a half ago as a roller and just last week made the first test drive. I was stoked only to find out I have more issues.

The pictures are as follows:

Check Ball: Which of these holes needs to be blocked off with the check ball? TCI says one thing, and what I looked up says another.

Passage: this is the area that I need to file down at least half way correct? The old case was not filed down either.

New case: Here is the trans brake on the new case. Different from the old case.

Old case: The old case has something pressed into the transmission. Would I need this?

Last picture is the car the trans is in.

I appreciate any and all help
Attached Thumbnails No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB-check-ball.jpg   No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB-passage.jpg   No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB-new-case.jpg   No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB-old-case.jpg   No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB-speed-society.jpg  

Quick Reply: No reverse on TH400, T-brake, RMVB