Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Swap - Converter and Flexplate Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E Swap - Converter and Flexplate Questions

Well, my 4L80E swap (2010 Camaro with LS3) is progressing. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I have some questions/concerns about my torque converter mating up with my flexplate. I have the TCI flexplate (TCI 399754). I assume that I will be using the included spacer on the end of the converter?. I dropped in my new North Texas Converter and I measured from the trans housing face to the bolting pads and it came out to 1 1/8". That tells me the converter is seated fully. I lift the trans up into position and it looks like the torque converter bolt pads are really far from the flexplate. I have never messed with an LS engine before, but on SBC's and BBC's, the bolting pads are usually around 1/2" from the flexplate and you just slide the converter out a little to match. This looks like it will be closer to 1" away once the bell housing bolts are tightened. That seems like a problem to me.

Anyone have any thoughts? (The flexplate is in with the sticker facing the right direction)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An LS 4L80e flexplate designed not to be used with a spaced should be dished. You would want it to dish towards the converter.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

You have the correct FW, providing your converter has the snout for a 4L80E spacing-if they gave you one with 4L60E spacing, it wont fit
meas from the pads to the end of the snout, and post that meas
The 60E has a longer snout
Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Will do. Hopefully I can get over there tomorrow night to measure things up.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The bolt pads on the converter should be 1/8" to 5/32" from the flexplate when the trans is fully seated on the block. Put the flexplate on the crank and measure from the block mating surface to the rear of the flexplate.
It should be about 1". If not, the flexplate is probably incorrect. The 1 1/8" measurement that you have is correct for the trans/converter fit.
I am not familiar with the TCI plate that you have.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dw456post
The bolt pads on the converter should be 1/8" to 5/32" from the flexplate when the trans is fully seated on the block. Put the flexplate on the crank and measure from the block mating surface to the rear of the flexplate.
It should be about 1". If not, the flexplate is probably incorrect. The 1 1/8" measurement that you have is correct for the trans/converter fit.
I am not familiar with the TCI plate that you have.
I just wanted to update this thread. I did get the trans bolted up and the converter matched up perfectly (1/8" gap). The huge gap I was seeing was just caused by how tilted the engine was compared to the trans. So, everything seems good!! Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply: 4L80E Swap - Converter and Flexplate Questions