Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find USA-made filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where to find USA-made filter?

Is it even possible to find one? This is for the 4L80E in my truck. I ordered a Wix, since their air and oil filters are Made in USA. When it arrived, the box said "Made in Taiwan". It also doesn't have "Filtran" stamped on it.

In researching which brands are Filtran filters, it seems that SPX has moved their production overseas, is this true? I find two AC Delco filters for it, 25325570 and 24210956. Does anyone know if AC Delco filters are Filtran, or would I be wasting my money?

Considering my tranny has 190k on it and hearing stories of them acting up after cheap filter changes, I don't mind spending the money on the best quality filter I can find. It's just a PITA finding quality US-made parts anymore.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The transmission filter has a really big particle size limit (I think around 100um). I don't think a different brand is really going to make that much of a difference?

Have you considered an inline filter? A little bit of transmission hose and a filter has a particle size limit of closer to 20um, like a good engine oil filter. There's also ones with magnet added on the inside of them.

I've got a Magnafine on mine. Made in Australia, although I think that's better quality than what you'd get from China. Around $15 and you change it once a year.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

SP, SPX, filtran, microfelt are all Sealed Power and all are made in China these days. Just make sure it has one of these ID's on it. From what I know they still are the best filter out there.

Quick Reply: Where to find USA-made filter?