Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counting the cost:

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Counting the cost:

Hey guys, I've been looking @ getting a new cam for awhile now (w/ little success) but I've been reading up on these TC's, and am starting to lean more in this direction. My car is on the street, and in traffic every day, so nothing too crazy would work for me. What I'm thinking, (totaly based on what I've read) is something like a 3000-3500 stall, w/ 3200 seeming like my obviouse choice. I know you all swear by them, and I know it's a common thing to want to go bigger, but I never hit the track, so no point in going huge. How much do you think I'm looking @ to do the new converter, + trans cooler, + install? I'm not willing to install a piece of trash in my car, but top of the line is way outside my price range too. Also, since I have the SLP Ram Air snorkel in front of my radiator, am I going to be blocking too much air w/ the tranny cooler? My car has the 323 gears, and my only mods are listed in my sig. Thanks as always.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A SSF 3500 from TCI would work wonders for you. You should be able to do it, a cooler, and installation for about $800.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Colonel, thanks for the breakdown. Do you think a trans cooler will be okay w/ my SLP Ram Air CAI setup, or will I be blocking too much air from hitting my radiator? Also, since it's about the same price for a cam or the TC, which one would you recomend? (I see you've done both) If I get the Cam, it'll only be a B1 or something similar. Thanks as always.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Depending on the design of the cooler and ramair it can work. I've done the Fast Toys Ram Air and a tranny cooler (19k?, hard to remember) successfully on two of my Camaros. In both cases it was rather tedious to coherce into fitting but the second time was a little easier due to the design and size of that particular cooler. Yes, it will block more of the radiator but you should still be ok (I've never had any trouble keeping it cool enough like this.) A cooler thermostat and lowered fan settings work well.

Given the choice between a cam and converter I'd certainly go with the converter. No doubt about it. You'll get MUCH better launches with far less RPM drop between shifts (VERY important for "from a roll" performance.) MPG will only be effected a small amount in town and none on the highway. Drivability could actually be improved as compared to stock (depending on your preference.)
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I'm looking at TCI's page right now, (and it's totally possible I don't understand what I'm looking at) and it looks like the SSF is their Super Street Fighter model correct? I've heard EVERYBODY say to go bigger, but the application chart the TCI has looks like the SSF3500+ should be reserved for a car w/ "3.73-4.88 gears, and rough idle, large fuel system, raised comp. ratio top end power" This chart recomends to me that I go w/ the Saturday Night Special, but those stall speeds look curiously close to the stock stall speed on our cars? 1600-1800? Why is this do you think? Also, Colonel, I've been to AL, and I loved it there, but here in San Diego, trafic means stop and go/ bumper to bumper... Will the 3500 still be your recomendation? Again, I can't thank you enough.

Scott
Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

"but the application chart the TCI has looks like the SSF3500+ should be reserved for a car w/ "3.73-4.88 gears, and rough idle, large fuel system, raised comp. ratio top end power"

Forget you read that. They're really talking about old school engines and non-lockup TQ converters. Doesn't apply to LS1s. Trust me, if you go with a converter lower than 3000 you're going to be SERIOUSLY kicking yourself soon.

I've been to San Diego and I loved it too. I spent about 4-5 days there a few years ago. Yes, the 3500 is still my recommendation. If you're extremely concerned with streetability (if you're one of the less than 1% that would find a 3500 as being "too much") then go for the regular street fighter (~3000). Just be warned that it doesn't take long for the upgrade bug to bite when it comes to TQ converters. Your first thought is going to be "Wow, that's not bad at all! Almost feels like stock but it REALLY kicks *** when I nail it! I really like this converter." A week later you'll be going "You know, I think I could really stand another 500 RPM of stall." A month later the converter is on it's way back to TCI for a restall. I've been watching this kind of thing take place for years.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL Okay, my fears have been quelled. I've decided, I'm going to go w/ your recomendation. Hopefully week after next I'll place my order for the 3500. That is unless that cam falls into my lap for about free. (like that's going to happen) Thanks for the advice. I'm really starting to look forward to this thing now. Maybe I'll order it today, and hope I float till next payday. Later Colonel. Have a good one, and look us up next time you're out this way.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to help.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

You could try installing the cooler under your passenger side headlight in front of the air deflector.....really cool spot!!!

I'll attach a pic in a few minutes
Old 06-04-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Nevermind, I won't be attaching a pic, my GF took her digital camera from me
Old 06-04-2004, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 3500 is very streetable. The rule of thumb is, go the net size bigger than what you think you want. I wanted a 3200, then a 3400...but then decided on a 3500.

You will be amazed how streetable it is.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

actaully I started out wanting a 3200, then bought a 3800, now I wish I went with a 4000.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Got some pics for you of that cooler install. Hope you like

Old 06-04-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's a GREAT spot for it!! What size is that, as it looks like you've used most of your availiable space? You're right, that's exactly where I'm going to put it. Thanks for the tip. Now I won't have to even think about the engine's radiator.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Its a 24K cooler, I suppose you could go a little bigger, it'll just stick out a little more towards the center of the car, but I believe for my converter (SS3800) a 24K cooler is a great size

If you want to travel across the country i'll install it for you I had a lot of fun doing it
Old 06-04-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL that's a great offer. It's only .... what, maybe 28 - 2900 miles?? Now had you been up NY, then NO WAY, TOO FAR, But Cliffside NJ, that's do-able. I'm going to try to find some to look at, and see how the bigger one's fit. But you have a looser stall than I'm going, so if the 24k is good for you, then I'm sure it'll do fine by me also. Thanks for those pictures, I was a little concerned about putting yet another piece in front of my radiator. 100 degree trans doesn't do much good when your engine gernades on you for lack of air flow. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cooler doesnt stop the airflow...the air will still go through the radiator...

The best place for the cooler is on the front of the radiator. If you look at the fins on the cooler, there is a certain way that it can be positioned so the air has a straight shot through it...you'll see what I mean when you get one.

Just a thought....