Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Torque Converter

Anyone ever have a converter leak where the front cover has the mounting pads welded on? I changed my rear main seal cause i thought it was the problem after i first noticed it. Started the car with just the flex plate, no trans, and had no leaks. Put it all back together and after about a min its leaking. Dried it all off and started it again shut it off quick and thats the only place it seems to be leaking. Did this test twice. Sent it back to get checked but wanted to see if it has ever happen to anyone else.

Sorry for the long psot
Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this before on stock style front covers. It gets thinner if you machine the clutch surface like you're supposed to do to ensure it's true to the converter pads. You have to be careful in this area or it will develop a hairline crack on the edge between the pads due to the lockup pressure. Very hard to see in the car I would think. A billet converter would eliminate this problem, and would probably be wise at the 800 hp level anyway.

-Brian
Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks its back getting checked from the vendor i got it from. Well see how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Leaking Torque Converter