Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e HD2 shift kit installed wrong/transmission wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e HD2 shift kit installed wrong/transmission wont engage

I made a mistake while installing my HD-2 shift kit in my 1997 4l80E transmission with a 3200 Circle D Converter. The transmission shifted great last year unmodified in my n/a setup.

I had a hard time getting the PR snap ring installed, but I thought I got it all the way in and pressed on with the rest of the install. I then fucked up and also forgot to install the filter (i feel like an idot). I did install a new transmission connector harness in the pan as mine was leaking last summer. I filled the transmission above hot prior to its first drive assuming it would drop after it filled the transmission and cooler. So I feel like the transmission was still getting fluid without the filter.

I had only idled the car for about 20 minutes (working on new turbo tune) then I decided to take it for a test drive. I pushed the car out of the driveway and down the street (it was late and didnt want to wake up the wife or son). I started the car and put it in drive and nothing happened. No gears worked or engaged. I only revved the engine up 2,000 rpm or so.

At that point I looked around the garage and realized I left the filter out. I assumed this was my problem. I pushed the car back in the garage and took the pan back off. Looking in the pan I see the entire PR assembly looking at me (****!). I re-install it (its the type 2 PR with no spacer) and the snap ring went in better as I held it in place with a floor jack. I also installed the filter/pickup this time, pushed the car back out of the garage and down the street. I put it back in drive and nothing. I don't feel the transmission engage or do anything. I thought maybe the PR came back out.

So I push the car back in the garage take the pan off again and everything is installed?? The PR assembly and filter didnt move. I checked the harness and the 5 connectors are all still connected.

What would make the transmission not move in any gears? I was thinking of putting the accumulator original spring back in. Could that be the problem?

My mistakes are really starting to add up with this build and i'm getting very burnt out on this car. Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!

John
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

I did an ohms check on some of the solenoid and this is what I got:

20 on the 1-2 shift solenoid
20 on the 2-3 shift solenoid
4 on the EPC solenoid
10 on the TCC PWM Solenoid

From what I get out of this articles the solenoids are fine.

http://transtechdiag.com/gmdiagnosticinfo.html

I found something that said if the car does not go forward in any gear that the pump probably failed.

I'm going to hook everything back up tomorrow and run the transmission lines into some buckets with fluid and see if its still flowing.

Could the fact that I changed to a speed density OS with HPtuners affect the transmission? I checked and it still says 4l80E installed under the transmission?

Does anyone have anything to check before I re-install the pan and fluid?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Should I re-install the stock pressure regulator and boost valve?

Should I re-install the stock low/rev band apply accumulator spring?

I'll try re-installing the stock pressure regulator and boost valve along with the low-rev accumulator spring tomorrow. Then i'll check flow at the cooler lines and see if it will engage any gears again. If this is a bad idea, please speak up so I don't damage anything else. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Well the front pump must be done. I didn't really look at the trans fluid after the issues yesterday because it was late and I was pissed off. After inspecting the fluid in the pan and buckets I used to catch the fluid I can see small speaks of gold (hahaha....oh that's not funny).

I made a mistake and lost my $450 transmission. I'm not to worried about that (just mad at myself). I am concerned about my $1000 circle d converter.

I'm assuming it is damaged too or at least will need cleaned. How much does that cost and what is probably damaged?

Last edited by johnminer; 05-03-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 4l80e HD2 shift kit installed wrong/transmission wont engage