Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.K. Guys n Gals, I need help!!! A.S.A.P. !!! UPDATE, FIXED!!!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default O.K. Guys n Gals, I need help!!! A.S.A.P. !!! UPDATE, FIXED!!!

In short; trans lockup in od kicks out.
A quick history on the car. 2000 WS-6 T/A, A4, 3.23 car. I bought it bone sotck with like 170k on it. Ran great for a while added GT2-3 can and had it tuned. Ran great with no issues that I could tell. bought a used low mile Yank SS3600 and installed it with a inline Hayden trans cooler. Had some lockup issues for a bit until I got the tune dialed in from the same tuner that did the cam. Started noticing that when in od the lockup would drop out and codes were set in the computer. Code P1637= Can Link ECM/ABS module circuit network, and Code P1870 Unknown. Well the trans had about 180kl on it and **** the bucket due to me getting pissed and driving it hard with this issue (I thought it was on its way out anyways so what the hell, right).
I upgraded the engine and trans to a LQ4/4L80 unit with a small cam and a procharger. I bought the trans used but in good shape from a junkyard. Ok, I bought a billet single disk 3200 stall converter and a complete rebuild kit from the guys @ North Texas Converter. They were very helpful at helping me see the rebuild done right with the mods they recommended like; dual feed, adding an extra clutch plate here and there and drilling and blocking the accumulator bores, borg warner 34 element sprag, drilling taping and blocking the accumulator bores, rollerizing the rear planetary, ect. I have rebuilt a few 4l60's before with sucess in stock apps so Im not a total newb to trans stuff. lol.
Ok, got it all buttoned up and an email tune on the car just to make it driveable and check out everything before making a trip to the dyno. I drove the car around town several times and other than some engine idle and part throttle surging it ran great. Even at light throttle it nailed all gears good and firm with no hesitation at all and the lockup worked perfectly. I finally get it out on the open road on the way to the tuner and the lockup kicks out for a sec or so then back in. Hmmm? A bit farther it kicks out for good until I reset the codes then it kicks right back in. It feels nice and strong with no slippage that I can tell when the TCC mode is ON. When TCC mode is OFF the converter still pulls good @ part throttle for a 254mm 3200 stall.
I make it to the tuner about 60 miles away and before they open up I check the trans fluid in the parking lot and it is good with no smell or blackness to it at all. Looks brand new. They start tuning it and it dosnt make the boost I thought so the session was cut short. I was hoping for 9-10lbs and it made 14 and went lean while spinning the tires on the dyno. Wrong pulley and injectors are too small for that much boost. Ok, I paid for a partial tune and I am supposed to re pulley it for next wed and try again. On the way home it does the same unlock crap as on the way there so now I am getting worried that its not in the tune as they have tuned about 50 f-body cars with the 4l80 conversion and supposedly never had an issue. They did however use the older model 80's and that may be where the problem is.
I can drive it around town in all gears with no issues that I have noticed as long as I dont get up to like 45mph or faster. Its only when I get on the highway and up to maybe 50mph or faster that the issue occurs. Maybe it needs to see the issue for a set period of time without any throttle fluctuation to see the problem and set the code? Sorry for the long post but I tried to include all that I can to help with the diagnosis. I hope the trans isnt bad as it seems good and tight until this happens. O.K. Fire away!!!
BTW, I have HP Tuners so I can scan the trans for issues but I dont know what Im looking for or what PID's to include in the scans unless someone can help me out. Thanks.

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 05-18-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Great that your have HPT.
I haven't tried all the PIDs myself, but under Transmission ->TCC I would log "TCC Mode" (probably whether it is on or off), "TCC PWM Duty Cycle" and "TCC Slip %".

From those I'm confident it will be evident whether the problem is in the tune or the trans.
I suspect the PCM is turning the TCC on and off for various reasons.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Great that your have HPT.
I haven't tried all the PIDs myself, but under Transmission ->TCC I would log "TCC Mode" (probably whether it is on or off), "TCC PWM Duty Cycle" and "TCC Slip %".

From those I'm confident it will be evident whether the problem is in the tune or the trans.
I suspect the PCM is turning the TCC on and off for various reasons.
Will do!!! Sadly I wont be home until about 6 tonight but I will report back what I find shortly after. Are there acceptable #'s to be looking for on each PID so that I have an idea of what it should be showing?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I have some info that will hopefully help someone help me. I went for a drive and let it stay in 3rd gear for the first part of the test. It didn't unlock at all and the pid's read out the following: PWM duty cycle is 100%, TCC slip is 79-80% @ anywhere from 10 to 59% TPS and only fluctuates 1% or so. TCC mode stayed on and didn't go off. In fourth @12% TPS with TCC on the slip was 86% and when it was off it went to 93-94% @ the same 12% TPS. Ok, I reset the codes and went again until it reached 4th gear and locked up. I quickly gave it up to 50% throttle and the slip went from the 86% @ roughly 12%TPS to only 87-88% @50% TPS. That's the same +1% or so that I got in 3rd and it never unlocked as the mode never went to off it stayed on. I also noticed if I kept varying the TPS from crusing to light to moderate acceleration it wouldn't unlock in 4th. Now the only diff I can see is roughly 6-7% from 3rd to 4th. Is this a simple tune adjustment or am I in deep crap?

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 05-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

While I suggested logging those PIDs, I'm not sure how to interpret them as I thought (incorrectly?) that "TCC slip %" was a small number, e.g. 10% with the converter unlocked and 0% with the converter locked.
The code P1870 is triggered by high "TCC slip %" meaning that the converter is not locking properly. If my interpretation of "TCC slip %" is correct, you definitely have a high value. Perhaps the 4L80E conversion is confusing the PCM.
Speaking of PCM, what PCM do you have? 411?

So far I think you have a tuning or electrical problem. If the trans and converter stay locked in some instances, the "hardware" should be OK.

Anyone else?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:22 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, I have the stock 411 PCM. I am a little confused with the slip readings also. I do feel like its not sliping when its locked up just maybe the ratios are off in what the PCM will allow or something. In fourth when I got on it before it had a chance to unlock It lugged the engine down and forced the car to pull hard at low RPM and the boost guage showed up to like 3lbs and the slip % only changed that 1% from when crusing in vacuum.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 386 Posts

When cruising in 4th gear and the converter unlocks does the TCC mode stay on, or did it turn off. If it is turning off then I would say that it is something in the tune. If the TCC mode stays on and the converter still unlocks it most likely is a trans problem.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bbond105
When cruising in 4th gear and the converter unlocks does the TCC mode stay on, or did it turn off. If it is turning off then I would say that it is something in the tune. If the TCC mode stays on and the converter still unlocks it most likely is a trans problem.
No, it turns off. The commanded action on the hp tuners screen follows whats happening in the trans.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

I was advised by North Texas Converter to go in and turn off the 1870 code to "No error reported" but IDK how to do that. BTW I have the 2.24 version of Hp Tuners.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Knock sensors to sensitive maybe. If it's detecting knock it will pop out of lockup and pull timing. Just a thought, happened to me.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HISS
Knock sensors to sensitive maybe. If it's detecting knock it will pop out of lockup and pull timing. Just a thought, happened to me.
If that were the case would it not do the same in 3rd gear as it does in 4th? Not arguing just asking.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

PWM duty cycle is 99 min and 100 max.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
If that were the case would it not do the same in 3rd gear as it does in 4th? Not arguing just asking.
Does it lockup in 3rd? Mine does not.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HISS
Does it lockup in 3rd? Mine does not.
Yes, it locks up in 3rd and never has an issue with the code poping up or the TCC unlocking until 4th gear. I have to cruise at a steady speed for a min or so to cause the issue in 4th. I installed the et street 2's today and the trans isn't slipping at all that I can tell. Its gotta be something in the tune causing the code to show up. BTW does anyone know if a bad parking brake sensor will cause the computer to do this? The micro switch under the handle is broken and the brake light stays on.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

OK, I found the issue and it was infact tune related. It was the Trans diagnostic enable temp was set at 68deg F. I bumped it up to 250deg F and it dosent unlock in 4th anymore. The disable temp was set to 302deg F so I didn't touch that part. Thanks guys n gals.

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 05-19-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O.K. Guys n Gals, I need help!!! A.S.A.P. !!! UPDATE, FIXED!!!