TransGo 4L60E-HD2 "D" issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TransGo 4L60E-HD2 "D" issue

I installed the kit
TransGo Performance Shift Kits 4L60E-HD2
and took it up the road. When in D it doesnt seem to change gears? Like you pulled out in 4th? I can downshift to 3rd then 2nd and 1st and that is fine but it seems i have to manually do this all the time? I can start in 1 and upshift manually to 2nd etc, all shift firm like i thought it was supposed to. did i eliminate the D auto shift lol?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, I have helped diagnose mistakes others made with the HD2 kit, but your symptoms elude me.
Check the simple things first - the shift cable and that the Manifold Pressure Switch is tight.

You may need to take it apart and check everything. If not already, I would suggest installing a new separator plate (Transgo 46-PLT-96) and gaskets.
I suggest people not install the "Gear command" feature which is Step 5 on Page 2, as that will allow an unintentional downshift to overrev the engine.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the help and information!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackodium
Thank you for the help and information!
Well found the issue. Forgot to hook up wire harness on outside tranny. :/ I'm so happy now !!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM

Well that was simple!
With the connector disconnected, a stock trans simply stays in 3rd gear.
The HD2 "gear command" option deceived me - evidently you can force the trans into any gear even with the connector disconnected; you cannot do with with a stock trans.
And I don't install the gear-command option.

Glad you got if fixed. And I have learned from it too.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default p1870 again?!

Thank you! Now i drove the car 150+ miles in the hills of tn without any codes. This morning coming to work cruise control set at 55 service engine light came on.... scanned the code p1870. I guess the Shift kit did not fix my p1870 issue. car has 64k miles 3400 stall and a frost tune.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there another fix for this issue?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM

P1870 usually means the converter lockup clutch (TCC) is slipping, but if you installed the HD2 TCC On/Off valve that shouldn't happen unless you have a leak or bad converter.
Do you feel the TCC lockup? With the on/off valve you should feel it like a shift.
If not, did you remember the o-ring on the trans input shaft?

P1870 is documented as "Transmission Component Slipping"; perhaps other problems can cause it too.
I have P1870 enabled and have never received that code even with a variety of different high stall converters. I don't recall people here needing to disable it.

Sorry, I don't have an answer with any confidence.

Anyone else have experience with this code?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not sure when or if it locks up. i can tell the obvious shifts but unfortunately dont know what the lock up feels like. i do seem to have a leak and it is at the second hole on the dipstick... overfilled? Also if this makes sense please let me know. Before the shift kit the temp of the fluid was 200+ degrees. afterwards it is 122 degrees at the highest. is that normal or what?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

is that the code that typically gets deleted on stalled cars? I remember there being one as I had to do it to prevent limp mode going up hills if the trans shifted...stall kept RPMs from falling so the trans thought it was slipping and went into limp mode
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
is that the code that typically gets deleted on stalled cars? I remember there being one as I had to do it to prevent limp mode going up hills if the trans shifted...stall kept RPMs from falling so the trans thought it was slipping and went into limp mode

would really like to know if this can be ignored lol.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a live scan tool that is reading the tcc slip. it is at 500+ rpm at 55 cruising. this will definitely set off the code. so i am going to assume that the stall is bad? any trans guys know what the tcc slip should be at 55? I think i have felt the engadgment of the tc. it was 35-40 mph. so im not sure if i need to take the valve body out or remove the trans and get the stall checked out. the code says this.

Powertrain - Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled
Description
Transaxle Component Slipping
Cause
Engine speed over 500 rpm for 5 seconds, Fuel Shutoff inactive, throttle angle from 8.5-35%, Transaxle not in First gear, Transaxle gear range is D4, TFT sensor input 68-266°F, engine torque from 50-200 ft-lbs, engine vacuum 0-105 kPa, TCC commanded on and at Max apply for over 5 seconds, then the PCM detected a TCC slip speed of over 200 rpm for over 5 seconds, all conditions met for 3 times with TCC commanded off each time in between cycles.

Last edited by blackodium; 06-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Confirm that this slippage started after installing the HD2 kit.
Was the trans and/or converter removed at the same time?
(I suspect it was because why else was the trans connector removed.)

Currently I suspect one of the following:
1. Transgo TCC valve was improperly installed
2. O-ring was left off the input shaft during converter R&R
3. Converter is defective

Your answers to my 2 questions should help pinpoint it.

IMO, 500 RPM slip while cruising at 55mph is a huge amount even with the converter unlocked. I never had more than 200-300 with three different 3600 stalls.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Confirm that this slippage started after installing the HD2 kit.
Was the trans and/or converter removed at the same time?
(I suspect it was because why else was the trans connector removed.)

Currently I suspect one of the following:
1. Transgo TCC valve was improperly installed
2. O-ring was left off the input shaft during converter R&R
3. Converter is defective

Your answers to my 2 questions should help pinpoint it.

IMO, 500 RPM slip while cruising at 55mph is a huge amount even with the converter unlocked. I never had more than 200-300 with three different 3600 stalls.

The trans was not removed for the hd2 kit installation. I am not sure if the slippage was previous but i know the p1870 code is the reason i got the shift kit. After the shift kit install i forgot to connect the pigtail connector on the outside of the transmission. This could have been left alone, i know this now.
The car was driven memorial day for 150+ miles without any code what so ever. Tuesday morning driving to work at 55 cruise the light came on. I scanned it and it was the p1870 code. The tcc valve could have been installed incorrectly but would think it would happen sooner than it did? Last i am going to think that the tc is the issue at this point since slip is so high? Thank you for replying i hope this helps you help me. The stall is 4 years old with 10k spirited driven miles. This is from edge racing.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Since the trans/converter was not removed, we can rule out the missing o-ring.
Your statement that everything worked perfectly for 150+ miles makes an incorrectly installed TCC valve less likely.

I don't know if this was a cheap (under $400) or expensive (above $500) converter, but cheaper converters are nearly always rebuilt basic GM converters with a cheap set of parts to increase the stall speed. The lockup clutch is very marginal (designed by GM for 4 and 6 cylinder engines) and easily overwhelmed by a V8 engine; for this reason TCC is typically unlocked by the PCM at around 35%-50% throttle.

Here is my hypothesis: I suspect that the On/Off TCC valve might have contributed to the TCC failure as these basic GM converters are designed for gradual engagement, not abrupt engagement. Especially if the lockup clutch friction was already worn, the abrupt engagement may have ripped off the rest. (In contrast most premium aftermarket converter are designed for On/Off engagement.)
The 500 RPM slip may be due to a very loose converter.

Again, this is just a hypothesis and one opinion. Don't take it as fact.

If you decide to or need to replace your converter, I have used both the Yank SS3600 and CircleD 3600 converters and been very happy with them; both are quite tight and suitable for everyday driving. In contrast the cheaper TCI 3600 was loose and sloppy.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the tuner said this. if a higher stall is installed.

"Can tear up the lockup clutch with a stall if pwm isnt eliminated. performance codes are updated"

Last edited by blackodium; 06-02-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:30 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

"Also if this makes sense please let me know. Before the shift kit the temp of the fluid was 200+ degrees. afterwards it is 122 degrees at the highest, is that normal or what?" This to me shows that the torque converter was slipping a lot the reason for the high heat. With TransGo PWM eliminator valve installed the temperature dropped a lot. Now the problem of the converter slipping is probably due to the clutch in the Edge torque converter was nearly at its end when the TransGo Shift kit was installed. If you want to see if the torque converter clutch is gone, try touching the brake pedal at a constant speed of 55 - 65 mph and see if the rpms go up and down when applying and releasing of the brake pedal just enough to disengage the torque converter clutch. Clear the codes just before doing this. See what happens here.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default TransGo 4L60E-HD2 "D" issue

hell thank you!!!!!! I'll try it and report back. I can get the tc cut open and refreshed for 160 from that company so I am very happy to hear that.

Quick Reply: TransGo 4L60E-HD2 "D" issue