Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 Whines in park, neutral, reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60 Whines in park, neutral, reverse

My trans is whining in park and neutral all the time, reverse only when the vehicle is moving. No noise in drive that I can tell. Sound changes with rpm in park and neutral. Sound changes with speed in reverse. All shifts into/out of gear and all shifts 1-4 are normal. Any idea what this could be before I rip the trans out?
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There are numerous bushings and torrington bearings in the trans that could "wine" when worn.
It sounds (all puns intended) like your trans wines whenever the forward clutch is not engaged. There is a torrington bearing between the input drum (with the forward clutch) and the pump. Perhaps it wines when there is no load on it and quiets down when there is a load.

If your trans has 100,000+ miles on it, it makes little sense to open it to replace just one bearing (assuming that is what it is); it makes more sense to rebuild it. Also, just pulling out the pump will likely tear its teflon seals and it quickly becomes a slipperly slope that requires a complete rebuild.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There are numerous bushings and torrington bearings in the trans that could "wine" when worn.
It sounds (all puns intended) like your trans wines whenever the forward clutch is not engaged. There is a torrington bearing between the input drum (with the forward clutch) and the pump. Perhaps it wines when there is no load on it and quiets down when there is a load.

If your trans has 100,000+ miles on it, it makes little sense to open it to replace just one bearing (assuming that is what it is); it makes more sense to rebuild it. Also, just pulling out the pump will likely tear its teflon seals and it quickly becomes a slipperly slope that requires a complete rebuild.
The trans is a couple thousand miles into a full rebuild. I was trying to think about what parts would be spinning relative to each other in p/n/r but not 1-4. I did notice a sound that was kind of unusual from the 3-2 downshift while using gear selector to downshift, kind of a groaning sound like drum brakes sometimes make (not a squeal). Doesnt make the sound when coasting/braking to a stop or when downshift is activated by throttle input. Its going to be such a waste of time to get into the transmission just to replace one bearing
Old 06-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Not much is spinning in Neutral/Park. Just the input drum and the pump.
I certainly do not have the confidence to say "that's the bad bearing for sure".
However, if you do pull the trans, first measure the end play on the input shaft. It might have been too little or too much when the trans was rebuilt, causing this bearing or another bushing/bearing to wear prematurely.
The bearing I mentioned has a "selective washer" under it which adjusts the end play. The end play spec is .010 to .036.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I think it may be the pressure regulator valve buzzing or something in the pump. The 700R4’s were bad about doing this and usually signals that end is coming.

Last edited by bbond105; 07-14-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Im inclined to think its the pump because it wasnt rebuilt when the trans was rebuilt, but it doesnt seem to make sound in gear which normally seems to rule out the pump. Oh well, I guess thats just how it goes. With the sound as quiet as it is and only showing up once the fluid has slightly warmed Im just hoping I can figure out which part it is once the trans is opened.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Teching In

So now it has started to kick out of first gear when driving. Usually about the same time that a clang sound comes out. It free revs for a second and then drops back in. Doesn't seem like a bearing would cause that.

Quick Reply: 4l60 Whines in park, neutral, reverse