Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clips upside down in Valve Body (1998 4L60E)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clips upside down in Valve Body (1998 4L60E)

Hi All,

I have an LS1 Swapped 92 Camaro RS. Recently got a CEL for the 3-2 Downshift Solenoid. I eventually got the transmission pan off (pain in the butt) and all the fluid out and cleaned up. Then I decided I'd pull the 3-2 solenoid and head to the autoparts store, when I noticed that I couldn't see the clip. I grabbed the flashlight, and to my amazement the clip was upside down (facing the top of the transmission). I compared it to the clip installed for the TCC Solenoid and they're 180° off.

I'm assuming that the last time someone had this transmission apart, the guy installed the solenoid while the valve body was removed, and when he installed the clip he did so from the wrong side...otherwise, the clip has to have enough room to spin all the way around inside the body, and I don't think there's nearly that much room in there.

Does anyone know a good way to get the solenoid out w/o having to remove the valve body?

I was hoping this solenoid was going to be an easy fix, but i'm now thoroughly frustrated.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

If you’re dead set on not removing the valve body you can try breaking it out of the VB or spreading the clip apart. You may have to get another clip though. Be very careful not to break anything other than the solenoid and clip. I will say that I have near tried this, but it may work. If all else fails just drop the VB.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Teching In

This is as "far" into a transmission as I've been, so it's definitely new territory...so on one hand, I don't HAVE to have this vehicle operational as it's my extra car...but I'd like to not cost myself large $$ from a mistake.

The issue (as I see it) is that I need three arms. Two to spread the clip, and one to remove the solenoid body. I'm hopeful I would be able to spread the clip far enough to remove the unit, and the clip could then fall out...but who knows.

How difficult is valve body removal for a novice, with the transmission still in the vehicle?

Thanks for the advice!

-----------------------
Edit
-----------------------

Great news! There's actually enough room to rotate the clips within the valve body...after applying a little pressure to the solenoid I was able twist the clip with a pick, get it right side down and pull the clip out. Headed to the parts store to get some new solenoids, tranny filter, gasket, and transmission fluid!

Thanks for the help again!

Last edited by 85f-bird; 06-05-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Glad you got it out.
And thanks for reporting that there was enough room to rotate the clip; I was just about to go and test that idea on a spare VB.

For future reference, removing the VB is not difficult, but it would likely expose "issues" you would want to fix. At a minimum, you only need new separator plate gaskets. Typically you would want a new separator plate, aluminum or pinless pistons for the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators and perhaps new accumulator springs. It would also be a good time to consider replacing the trouble TCC valve.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Glad you got it out.
And thanks for reporting that there was enough room to rotate the clip; I was just about to go and test that idea on a spare VB.

For future reference, removing the VB is not difficult, but it would likely expose "issues" you would want to fix. At a minimum, you only need new separator plate gaskets. Typically you would want a new separator plate, aluminum or pinless pistons for the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators and perhaps new accumulator springs. It would also be a good time to consider replacing the trouble TCC valve.
I was very happy to see that I'd be able to get the clips out. Ended up replacing the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids as well as the 3-2 downshift solenoid. Solenoids, gasket, fluid, ran about $125 w/ military discount. Bit pricey, but oh well...

Also noticed that the 3-2 solenoid was a bit pushy getting in. The old one would snap in w/o a problem...they looked to be the same approximate size, and with more fiddling, the new unit snapped into place. Had me worried for a second, but I THINK all is well. I've checked, and re-checked the part number numerous times...the only thing I can't guarantee, is that it wasn't a TCC solenoid plastic replaced in the 3-2 solenoid box. Any good way to tell? Maybe measure the ohms?

Quick Reply: Clips upside down in Valve Body (1998 4L60E)