Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it broken again? (4L60E)

Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it broken again? (4L60E)

My stock 4L60E from my 2000 bird crapped out 18 months ago during a pass at the track, it lost 3rd and 4th like they all do. I had it rebuilt with an FTI 2800 stall converter, trans cooler and trans go shift kit. I did the tune myself and it was working with no problems until yesterday.

I daily drive it to work every day and only see 3 or 4 track days a year. I was driving to work in heavy stop and go traffic for about an hour, when the traffic cleared the trans started spinning on all gear changes and it also spins when I go full throttle. The strange thing is that driving slowly, it will do all the shifting relatively normal and the converter also locks up as usual. It also used to do the gear changes hard because of the shift kit, but now it does them like it didn't had one.

The guy who built it, says it's shot again and need's to be rebuilt. I'm not really sure this time I would like a second opinion, if that's the case I think I'll just do a T56 swap and be done with it.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

If it slips on all shifts, particularly the 1-2 shift, then I suspect low line pressure. As I have recommended a zillion times here, buy a trans pressure gauge ($34 on Amazon - search for "ATD 5550") and confirm your pressure while driving.
While low line pressure can be due to a worn out trans pump, it can also be due to a defective Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) or a worn boost valve sleeve, both of which are trivial to fix. As long as they are fixed before slippage wears out the frictions.

This recent thread might be educational:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ssure-hot.html

If the pressure is good and the trans still slips, it will need to be removed and fixed.
Perhaps find a more careful/competent builder this time.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I suspected it could be related to a pressure issue. I'll have the pressure checked somewhere else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it broken again? (4L60E)