Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 4L60E rebuild kit ?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Which 4L60E rebuild kit ?

Well the transmission in my brothers 2000 T/A started slipping today. He asked me to put a post up on here asking your guys recommendations on a rebuild kit. His mods are longtubes, catback, Vararam style air intake, ported throttle body, LS6 intake, 3800 Yank, and a Tick SNS stage 3 cam. The tranny was fine before Gomer did the cam swap and tune about 2 weeks ago lol. He also has a nitrous kit that he was planning on putting on next week but i guess that will have to wait now. He's planning to run a 125-150 shot. That'll probably be all he ever does to it besides a set of ported LS6 heads some day. I searched for rebuild kit recommendations but a lot of posts are kind of old. Just thought that maybe there may be a new one out there that people like a lot. Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 386 Posts

A lot of people use Trutech Performance Transmission. I do not use complete rebuild kits, I pick and choose only the parts I want.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked my Trutech transmission rebuild kit. The price was good for everything that it came with, included the upgraded bonded steel pistons. There's also different levels of rebuild kits.

Jimmy (the owner) is also happy to explain things on the phone.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

These threads always make me wonder. Who is building the trans? If they are good at building them then they should know what parts to put in it. Not trying to discredit you from learning about what works best but if youre builder doesnt know for sure you probably shouldnt be using him. My 02.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Because people from my area charge about 3 times as much if you don't supply the kit yourself. If you take your tranny to anyone in northeast Alabama and just say "here build it" they'll charge an arm and a leg.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok, if they are truly good performance builders, dare I say they will even have a preferance to what parts they prefer to use. Sounds like you are dealing with stock type rebuilders, which is fine, whatever. Ive dealt with them before and around here they dont know **** and overcharge for a stock rebuild with a banner kit (basic seal and bushings). I was shooting the breeze with my tuner a few years ago and he recommended a builder about an hour away. I met him, younger guy, real nice....all the drag racers in the area used him for 4L60s and he had a great reputation. I brought him a core trans, he built it for $1000...and I have been beating the snot out of it ever since. I never even asked him what parts were going in it. I had no clue till I got the receipt. And, it doesnt matter, it's doing what I want and he stands behind his work. The point of all this is, be selective about your builder. If you want or need a well thought out kit I can make a few suggestions. One, look at build lists for built transmissions on websites, most list the parts they install (performabuilt, rpm, flt), search some old threads, or even call up someone like ProBuilt Automatics and have him assemble a kit for your needs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which 4L60E rebuild kit ?