Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 third gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60 third gear problems

My car will not sift into third gear unless you have it floored from a dead stop
I've tried replacing the throttle position sensor and shift selenoids a and b, it had a old code p0122
Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you try to shift into third gear while driving, do the rpm's shoot up?

Can you go manually into third gear?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't go manually neither unless you nail off in it or other wise the rom just shoot up
Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll throw out a guess that the 3-4 clutch pack is probably fried. There's a few different causes, but one of the most common is the 3-4 piston seal is worn out, letting hydraulic fluid blow past the seal. This prevents the 3-4 clutches from fully engaging and they basically rub together until the friction material wears downs to the metal.

Was the transmission fluid dirty looking the first time you dropped the pan? It should be bright pink and clear. Broken down friction material from a clutch pack will make the fluid look dirty.

Expect to need a rebuild if the clutch pack is worn out. The 3-4 clutch pack and the piston/seal would need to be replaced, and if you tear down the transmission you might as well do a rebuild and refresh.

Let bbond105, mrvedit, or one of the other experts opine too. I'm an amateur.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A more detailed and clearer description would let us help you more.

While a fried 3/4 clutch is the most common 4L60E problem here, that might not be the immediate problem here. When the 3/4 clutch shot, the trans will not shift into 3rd under WOT and the engine will hit the rev limiter instead.
Since you have to go WOT to get it to shift, I suspect low line pressure, possible due to a bad PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid, also called Force Motor) or other engine sensor (TPS, MAF, MAP).
Hooking up a trans pressure gauge is necessary to diagnose this further.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A more detailed and clearer description would let us help you more.

While a fried 3/4 clutch is the most common 4L60E problem here, that might not be the immediate problem here. When the 3/4 clutch shot, the trans will not shift into 3rd under WOT and the engine will hit the rev limiter instead.
Since you have to go WOT to get it to shift, I suspect low line pressure, possible due to a bad PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid, also called Force Motor) or other engine sensor (TPS, MAF, MAP).
Hooking up a trans pressure gauge is necessary to diagnose this further.
When my 3-4 clutch pack first started showing symptoms I could still get 3rd and 4th gear but I had to really push the gas pedal down. It went out completely after about another hour or two of driving.

If a 3-4 clutch pack is bad, would the fluid pretty much always show signs of clutch material? I know my fluid was pretty nasty looking.

Of course, your suggestion to test the line pressure is always just about the best place to start when diagnosing a problem.

Quick Reply: 4l60 third gear problems