Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 shift kit install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 4L80 shift kit install

Any write ups or videos for this? Need a HD2 kit for my 3/4 ton. Installing a 3000-3200 converter with the hotcam 6 liter going in and need the extra reliability.

A half hour of searching reviewed nothing and I want to do this myself and have a heads up on what I'm getting in to.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished this up on my 4l80e. As I am new to automatics I was going in pretty much blind. I ended up using the vid from transgo's site. http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...product_id=202

I also did find a truck forum that had some pictures and description, but I do not recall it now.

They say in there that some of the stuff pertains to an old transgo kit, plus the video quality is rather poor, but I was able to get it done.

Have fun clearancing the plastic filter/screen!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Lol, what's up with the screen filter?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

There is this little screen that needs to be clearanced so a new plug can be installed properly. Some people dont have to do much clearancing, but alot of people (myself included) have to go back and forth with filing the filter down on both ends and checking it in the valvebody over and over again. I am sure a pro with these transmissions can do this in a couple of minutes, but for a novice like me it took awhile, and was rather tedious.

Its the only part that was annoying though.

Hope it goes easier for you.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:56 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I'm isually pretty damn good at anything mechanical but if it is only the external filter your talking about then it seems easy. You have me wondering now. I couldn't watch the video on my iPhone. I'll have to see what it looks like on my PC when I get a chance.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

You shouldnt have a problem, it is just tedious. And, no its not the main trans filter. It is a small filter that is inside the valvebody. Below is a picture of it. It is mentioned in the written instructions that come with the shift kit as well.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.co...001/34018A.jpg
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, now I am fully curious about the whole shift kit. I thought it was simply a separator plate and check ball removal or swapping. Time will tell.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, now I am fully curious about the whole shift kit. I thought it was simply a separator plate and check ball removal or swapping. Time will tell.
Its definitely not a plate and ball only kit. There are quite a few upgrades in the hD2 ( dual feeding is most critical for me ) kit. It has served the 4l80E community pretty well and seems to be the "go to" kit for the guy that is wanting something to make it stouter. There are other options out there but the HD2 seems to be a good kit for the average guy like me.

I would encourage you to do some research on the pressure relief setup that TRANSO has in their kit though. I personally do not install them based off of my research and several builders that I have spoken to. Although i installed several in transmissions before i came across the information, I had no issues but I have read several stories about them going into the relief position and getting stuck causing an issue with line pressure. I have several out now in various degrees of street rods and a couple behind some higher HP cars without the relief setup installed with no issues.

Hope this helps, If you have any questions during your upgrade, dont hesitate to Pm me, I have done several and would be willing to help out if I can.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a thread floating around where Jake from jakes transmission gave a few pointers regarding that shift kit. He also skips the pressure relief mod
Old 08-15-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here it s
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ansgo-hd2.html

Quick Reply: 4L80 shift kit install