Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove stator shaft from pump half?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove stator shaft from pump half?

Just as title says, How do u remove the stator shaft from pump?
Do I just need to drill this swegded pin a little then it comes apart? What about when I put the new one in do I need to swegde the pin again?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails How to remove stator shaft from pump half?-image.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a good sized press...even if you get it out your gonna have a hard time putting it back in..id recommend you get a good used complete pump
Old 08-08-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing holding it are the 3 torx bolts..and it has a dowel pin aswell witch stays on the pump side
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

So if the pin that I'm pointing at stays in the pump half then do I need to drill it a little see how it's mashed some to keep from coming out. Where is the best place to support the pump half and with what, a good piece of hard wood? I have access to all the press equpitment u could think of. From press brakes to air over hygro and arbor press so that's not an issue just want to make sure I don't damage anything trying to replace it.

The rebuild kit that I got from Dana at probuilt came with a new one with new bushing in it that's why I'm replacing it. Like this instead of an assembled one
Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update I just talked with Dana nothing need to be drilled just press the old stator support out.

For reassembly put the new stator in the freezer for 4hrs or so and the pump half that is cleaned and empty of all parts and put it in the oven at 500*f for 35min

U have about 10sec to get it together right then sit it on the stator to keep it seated right while it cools.?

This is how he says to do it and has never had a failure this way.

This is the same way I put new cylinders sleeves in jugs for motorcycles n jet skis etc
Old 08-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

It sounds like you are answering your own questions.
I do think you need a press to at least separate it and likely to re-assemble even with freezing.
Do not drill the pin, it is needed for perfect alignment.
When assembling/pressing, be sure the pin is not nicked - you don't want to strip metal from it which would wedge between the parts and prevent the shaft from being square to the pump.

Also double check that the replacement stator shaft is the same length as your current one. We've had mixups here and the resulting problems are hard to diagnose.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

I changed my stator shaft once and i never thought it can be cooled and warmed. Seems like good idea, but you have to be quick to do it.

I have a bench press and my new stator shaft was very tight, so you have to be carefull supporting core right and center as possible. I had problems to center this pin correctly while pressing because pin is so short, so i did doweling pin from long 12mm bolt (if recall thickness right).

When pressed its easy to put pin in afterwards and make sure you punch some edges to prevent pin falling off. Just like your finger pointed picture.
File punched surface clean. Theres going to be plastic whasher against the surface.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Only reason I posted the update, "answered my own question", after talking with Dana was to get some good info on this subject on to the site. When u google the subject or search the forums there is literally no info to be found about it.
MRVEDIT, have u ever rebuild a 2 stroke motor ?
The freezing and heating of the cylinder jug and the cylinder sleeve works like a charm. My dad owned motorcycle shops before I was born and after this is the only way he does them. sure it may take a couple tries if U have never done it before but after the learning curve it's pretty straight forward n easy

Thanks for the replies n help
Old 08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Guestion not targeted for me, but ive done some 2-stroke engines and every crank and gearbox bearings are changed by this way, heating and cooling. Never changed cylinder sleeves, but i know its done same way.

Like you said, its not easy to find proper information on internet how these things should be done without hustle. I use my former experience and many times its just trial and error.

Next time will add some heat when doing stator shaft. Thanks for sharing this information.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys I got it in was really easy didn't even use my oven.

1st- I put the new stator support in the freezer before I went to bed last night.

2nd-I removed all the valve line ups out of the pump half

3rd-I took it over to the arbor press n supported the pump on the out side edge that seals to the case with hard wood so I would not damage the machined surface

4th- I heated the pump half with a oxy acetylene torch while applying a little pressure with my arbor press once it expanded enought to start moving with very little pressure it almost fell out on its own. This took less than 3 mins to do.

5th- have a drink of beer and think wow that was easy!

6th- by the time I went to put the new stator support in the pump half had cooled off. So I got out a small propane torch. Heated just right around the bore for the stator in a circular motion for about 45sec to a min. Grabbed the new stator out of the freezer and put heat to the pump half again for 30-45 sec more while holding the stator.

7th- Set the torch down safely and drop the new stator into the pump half with pin lined up make sure it seats all the way down.

8th- flip it over so the stator is setting on the bench and pump half on top Gravity will help keep the stator tight to the pump while it cools.

9th-After it cools completely it is very important that u let it cool completely first then put the 3 torxs bolts back in DO NOT USE AN IMPACT FOR THIS!!! Use a good inch pound torque wrench Torque them to 120inlbs.

10th- Have another drink of beer and admire the good work u did.

There u have it guys sry if it's not the best write up but it's more and better info than is out there. When putting the new one in it will literally drop right into place no press needed at all to reinstall new stator.

Steps 5 and 10 are very important for success lol

Last edited by Drj8787; 08-09-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Excellent write up and great use of heat and cold to expand the pump and shrink the stator shaft. As you noted, one still needs a press to get the old shaft out.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, you definitaly need a press to remove the old one.
But I feel like if one heated it just rite it may just fall out on its own.

I wish I had an extra to play with lol I would hear it up u till the shaft fell out

Now I know this isn't the best write up but it may be sticky worthy

Quick Reply: How to remove stator shaft from pump half?