Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Has been sitting for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Has been sitting for 2 years

The Trans am has been down for a couple of years due to a spun bearing. I'm playing with the idea of getting her back on the road through this winter/spring.

With the trans sitting for this long, I've heard seals inside of it could've rotted from not getting any fluid to them.

Is this true?

In that case, how would the rear end have held up?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will be fine as long as it wasnt a new build with dry parts in it. Once the seals are coated in atf it dosent dry up and allow them to rot. The rear will be fine also aslong as it didnt set up moisture in it on the bearings from oil not touching them. Remove the rear cover and inspect for peace of mind.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Agreed.
After re-installing the trans and before starting the engine, check the ATF level on the dipstick and add, if needed, so that it reads about 1" above the Hot-Full mark; the level will be lower when the engine is running.
While perhaps over-kill, I would raise the rear wheels for an easy break-in period.
I would start the engine and let it idle in Park for a few minutes, checking the ATF level repeatedly. Then put it in Drive and let everything run for another 5-10 minutes, and even give gas to make the trans shift into 2nd gear.
I recall one post where the OP didn't immediately have Reverse; I suggested being patient and indeed by the 2nd day Reverse was working again.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Has been sitting for 2 years