Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratchet and other after market shifters (4L60e) anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ratchet and other after market shifters (4L60e) anyone?

Watched this vid on YouTube:

I'd really like to do something similar to my 99 z28.

However I'm on the other side of the Pond (I'm in the UK), so finding info and parts can be harder.

Is anyone able to help out on what would be needed?

It doesn't have to be a ratchet shifter, but I want the ability to select individual gears without the risk of selecting the wrong one or N/R. I've seen some kind of slap stick gated setup on a Charger on YouTube that looked interesting, but don't recall what it was called.

i.e. I'd like more manual control over gear selection.

Things I want to know.

1. What shifter to actually get
2. What additional bits would be needed to make it work with my 4l60e
3. Tips on installing it and getting it working
4. How it will actually work.

I'd like the best of both worlds if possible. I'd like to be able to select a gear and be able to go WOT without it kicking down, e.g. 3rd or 2nd.

In the UK we have lots of round abouts, exiting these, 1st gear causes too much wheel spin, wide open throttle in 2nd would be ideal, but at present you can't do this, as it'll kick down to 1st violently. Even if I select 2nd on the shifter (I believe 2000 onwards MY would prevent kickdown). Essentially drive it like a sequential gearbox.

But I'd still like to be able to flick a switch and leave it in OD and drive it like a normal auto in stop start traffic. (I would sacrifice this to get the better gear control however).
Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess these aren't very popular then?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They are becoming more popular. But some people still prefer to have a stock shifter for the look though. I don't have answers to all your questions but if your wanting a nice shifter for your 60e, look into either the b&m as in the video, that's the pro ratchet, they also have a few other models, and the tci shifter is also a very nice piece that has a 4 speed gate.

Quick Reply: Ratchet and other after market shifters (4L60e) anyone?