Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! 4l65e

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! 4l65e

I think we've narrowed down my issue to the stall/transmission hence posting to the the auto Trans section. My car is having an issue where it gets hung up around 4k rpms we assumed the tranny was on its way out being a stock 4l60e with a 3600 stall and a cooler, replaced it with a used built 4l65e with a 4200 stall nitrous converter and the car still does the exact same thing, well we just took it to the tuner today and scanned for codes did some data logging and there are 0 codes, it goes into PE mode at wot almostl Instantly and the motor has no issues. So we are back to square 1 thinking it's a tranny issue still. Also on the last pull the tranny heated up to around 230° so we took it home and added a second tranny cooler. Tranny Temps are down now but still has the same issue. Also if I launch the car from a dead stop it will spin a little but still be very doggy off the launch, if I'm rolling around 30 and stab it it will hit 4k hold it there for a few seconds then, almost like a light switch goes off, the car will take off like it should. We've been chasing the issue for about a month or so and no idea what the issue could be. It's a cam only car, btr stage 4, 243 heads, and ls6 intake should put down around 400 if not more to the wheels but it only dynoed 357. Which is ironic because I put down the EXACT same number last year and that was before the cam, heads and intake over the winter. Any insight/opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone? Really hoping to figure something out before lsfest this coming weekend!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The transmission itself will not keep an engine from revving past e.g. 4000. It's likely due to some fail-safe in the PCM. I have had it happen on the track, but I was hot-lapping and I suspect the trans temp got too high. I let it cool down and all was well again.
In other words, I have also experienced your problem and it is not an internal problem in the trans.
IMHO, you have already swapped the tranny once, so stop thinking it is a trans problem.

Are you using a scanner to keep track of the trans temperature?
I would sooner suspect the PCM than the trans.

Quick Reply: help! 4l65e