Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping A 4L70E For A 4L60E...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swapping A 4L70E For A 4L60E...?

Using the usual 0411 computer for my 4L60E, and was wondering if there is any issues when swapping to a 4L70E transmission? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

All 4L70E's I have built have a ISS sensor, Not a big deal, You will have to re-pin the trans connector.

Around '08/'09 the 3-2 downshift solenoid was eliminated, This might be fixed with some tuning?....But I am not sure.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

What year is the 4L70E?
If before '08'/'09 it is no problem at all; you do not have to repin anything as your connector will ignore the two extra ISS pins. And your 411 PCM doesn't/can't use ISS.

However, as mentioned, somewhere around '08/'09 the 3-2 downshift solenoid was eliminated and the trans connector has a completely different pinout. (Rotated 90 degrees?) I also don't know if tuning can "fix" that, but you would need a pre '06 internal harness.

Personally I bought a brand new '09/'10 4L70E and retrofitted a '06 valve body to solve the 3-2 downshift solenoid issue.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
you do not have to repin anything as your connector will ignore the two extra ISS pins. And your 411 PCM doesn't/can't use ISS.

Good catch, I don't know why, But I was thinking the pinouts were different.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching forever about this. I have a 2009 trans that I am trying to make work with my 2001 PCM so I don't have to buy a standalone controller. Besides the valve body and internal harness, what other parts will I need to swap? Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Holmes
I have been searching forever about this. I have a 2009 trans that I am trying to make work with my 2001 PCM so I don't have to buy a standalone controller. Besides the valve body and internal harness, what other parts will I need to swap? Thanks
You should really start your own thread, when the thread you are looking at has been idle for the last four years...

I do not believe the modern electronics 4L60/65/70/75E transmissions can be properly controlled by older generation PCMs/ TCMs.
There is just too many electronic changes between the different year transmissions.

The older units (excluding the first few years) have:

-Fluid pressure manifold/ switch assembly with thermistor
-Fluid pressure control solenoid
-First-Second shift solenoid
-Second-Third shift solenoid
-Third-Second rate control solenoid (PWM)
-TCC apply solenoid
-TCC rate control solenoid (PWM)
-Output speed senor/ vehicle speed sensor (in transfer case on four wheel drive vehicles)
As well as a Park/ Neutral and Reverse lights switch assembly.

The newest units (2008 and up with change-over in 2006-2007) have a different valve-body and have:

-Internal mode switch
-Fluid pressure control solenoid
-First-Second shift solenoid
-Second-Third shift solenoid
-Input speed senor
-Fluid temperature sensor
-TCC apply solenoid
-TCC rate control solenoid (PWM)
-Output speed senor/ vehicle speed sensor (in transfer case on four wheel drive vehicles)

Going to an aftermarket/ standalone controller works well and has become quite simple for the last decade if not longer.
For an inexpensive solution that works well; I would recommend the: US Shift Quick 4 controller.
The controller is aprox. $600.
If you are not able to produce a wiring-harness for yourself... expect to pay an additional $150.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Swapping A 4L70E For A 4L60E...?