Sponsored by:

4l60e input drum housing spline wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e input drum housing spline wear

Newbie here.
I just finished rebuild of the 4l60e on my 2000 Silverado. The splines on the outside of the aluminum input drum had some pretty good wear. These are the input drum splines which are engaged by the reverse input frictions, NOT to be confused with the input drum shaft splines. I spent some time on Google seeing if this were a common issue on this tranny, but found no reference to this particular issue.
The splines were by no means totally gone, there is still plenty of meat in the splines that the tabs on the frictions will not jump splines. Based on this, I chose to reuse the drum with somewhat worn splines

FYI, there were really no symptoms (I think) which would have cued me into this being an issue. I performed the rebuild because of loss of pump pressure and pump noise........when I dropped the pan, I found a shallow pan filter had fallen off ( I have a deep pan), and found some sparklies in the oil which had not been changed since the previous rebuild by a shop. The pump halves had some decent wear. Some of the clutches in the input drum had some noticeable wear, but nothing to write home about.

Anybody have any idea of what might have caused this input drum housing spline wear?

Last edited by lrpasni; 09-14-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Can you post pictures?
Old 09-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Arrgghhh!
I never took a photo of it, darnit.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Pretty common on trucks (Backing trailers), I wouldn't worry.... Those clutches are only "On" in reverse.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: 4l60e input drum housing spline wear