Sponsored by:

Performace Parts Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performace Parts Help Please

Hello all,
First of I would like to say that being a Canadian these days makes buying a built transmission from someone like RPM very cost prohibitive. Take the US price and add 35% plus very high shipping costs.

I have a 99 Camaro which I am installing an LS3 pushing 500 RWHP NA and 600 RWHP on spray. Street/strip car with drag radials, 3600 stall, 3.42 gears. Want to race as often as I can.

From the research I have done I believe an RPM level V would suit my application. I am no expert though. Since i cannot afford to order one of these I am having a local tranmission builder build my transmission up for me. I will supply parts.
What I am looking for is which key parts will I need to have my builder use to make my transmission take my power and usage. Would it be as simple as using the parts list from the RPM website for a level V transmission?
Also is there a forum vendor that I could purchase these hard parts from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul
Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Have you read this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ld-thread.html
Old 09-18-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Have you considered a 4L80E (I am guessing your looking at a 60E)
Pretty much a stock build and minor tricks would work-just a thought
Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Have you considered a 4L80E (I am guessing your looking at a 60E)
Pretty much a stock build and minor tricks would work-just a thought
You might find swapping in a 4L80E to be cheaper than building/buying a quality 4L65E. Even a pull from a junk yard is likely to handle your power with little or no upgrades.

However, if you decide to stay with a 4L60E, I am happy to help you select parts and give you vendors. Keep in mind that even a very experience trans mechanic that has only rebuilt "stock" transmissions may have trouble with aftermarket parts.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You might find swapping in a 4L80E to be cheaper than building/buying a quality 4L65E. Even a pull from a junk yard is likely to handle your power with little or no upgrades.

However, if you decide to stay with a 4L60E, I am happy to help you select parts and give you vendors. Keep in mind that even a very experience trans mechanic that has only rebuilt "stock" transmissions may have trouble with aftermarket parts.
Thank you for the reply, I would like to stay with the 4l60e if possible. The trans mechanic is a reputable shop, however my concern is just like you say, will they put in the proper parts to give me what I need. This is why I have opted to gather the key parts myself to know exactly what I am getting. I can build and modify engines just fine, been doing so for 20 years plus, however I have never got into the transmission until now. I am interested in learning.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

As much as I love building & modifying 4L60E's, There is a point where all the parts, knowledge, & meticulous attention to detail in the world cannot overcome the light duty nature of a 4L60E. Built 4L60E/65E do not make it past 30,000 miles at 500 RWHP usually. Of coarse a lot of people at this level do not daily drive their cars & judge trans life on "Passes" or "Seasons".

A 4L80E would be a smart move if your putting miles on the car.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
As much as I love building & modifying 4L60E's, There is a point where all the parts, knowledge, & meticulous attention to detail in the world cannot overcome the light duty nature of a 4L60E. Built 4L60E/65E do not make it past 30,000 miles at 500 RWHP usually. Of coarse a lot of people at this level do not daily drive their cars & judge trans life on "Passes" or "Seasons".

A 4L80E would be a smart move if your putting miles on the car.
Thanks Clinebarger, I can safely say this car will never see 30,000 miles in my possession. My usage for this car will be 5k per year tops with probably 8 track visits at roughly 5 runs each. So 40 passes per year. As well I will suspect to only have this car for 3 years until the next project catches my attention. I am only looking for an 11 second time with possible high 10 with the spray.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

This is a list of parts that in my opinion are needed for a 4L60E trans that is going to see 500 or more RWHP. Which at this point the HP is getting to be more than this trans can handle and a 4L80E maybe a better choice.

Wide 2-4 band Carbon
New AC Delco reverse input drum for the wide band
Corvette 2nd servo (may want to use the Sonnax Super Hold
Servo Kit here)
Sonnax Smart Shell
Sonnax Smart-Tech® Input Housing Kit with hardened sonnax shaft
Sonnax 2-3 HD shift valve
Sonnax LB1 .490 boost valve with o-rings
Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Plug
Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Valve Kit
Sonnax Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston Kit
New aluminum 2nd Accumulator Piston (not a Sonnax Pinless piston)
Sonnax Pinless 4th Accumulator Piston Kit
Transgo HD2 shift kit
TransGo NoYOYO Pump Ring Kit
Billet pump rotor
Transgo Separator Plate
BorgWarner High Energy 3-4 frictions, setup for an 8 or 9 clutch pack
BorgWarner Clutches throughout.
29 element dual cage BorgWarner sprag

Extra care needs to be taken to assure all of the 3rd apply oil leaks are addressed.

Like I said this is just my opinion.

Last edited by bbond105; 09-21-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
This is a list of parts that in my opinion are needed for a 4L60E trans that is going to see 500 or more RWHP. Which at this point the HP is getting to be more than this trans can handle and a 4L80E maybe a better choice.

Wide 2-4 band Carbon
New AC Delco reverse input drum for the wide band
Corvette 2nd servo (may want to use the Sonnax Super Hold
Servo Kit here)
Sonnax Smart Shell
Sonnax Smart-Tech® Input Housing Kit with hardened sonnax shaft
Sonnax 2-3 HD shift valve
Sonnax LB1 .490 boost valve with o-rings
Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Plug
Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Valve Kit
Sonnax Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston Kit
New aluminum 2nd Accumulator Piston (not a Sonnax Pinless piston)
Sonnax Pinless 4th Accumulator Piston Kit
Transgo HD2 shift kit
TransGo NoYOYO Pump Ring Kit
Billet pump rotor
Transgo Separator Plate
BorgWarner High Energy 3-4 frictions, setup for an 8 or 9 clutch pack
BorgWarner Clutches throughout.
29 element dual cage BorgWarner sprag

Extra care needs to be taken to assure all of the 3rd apply oil leaks are addressed.

Like I said this is just my opinion.
Thank you for the list! Question though. I don't see mention of the 5 pinion carriers. Are these not needed for this level of power?
As well is there a good place to purchase all said parts? Which places do you fine experienced folk get your parts from?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Whether or not 5 pinion carriers are need I guess depends on how heavy your car is and if you are using slicks. I don’t feel they are needed in most street cars but that is just my opinion, most would probably disagree with me on this.

For parts suppliers I use Transtar, Makco Transmission Parts and Transmission Parts USA.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Whether or not 5 pinion carriers are need I guess depends on how heavy your car is and if you are using slicks. I don’t feel they are needed in most street cars but that is just my opinion, most would probably disagree with me on this.

For parts suppliers I use Transtar, Makco Transmission Parts and Transmission Parts USA.
I agree with you, What generally takes out a planetary is a Torrington bearing failure, And they do wear out. I have never seen a 4-pinion planet fail from to much HP/TQ. New Delco planets are recommended!

The 5-pinion Input planet was dirt cheap on Amazon ($96), Now $170, I'm glad I bought 10 of them a few months ago.
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241248 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Input Carrier: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241248 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Input Carrier: Automotive

GM updated the Torrington in ('08/'09)......
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24236092 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Thrust Bearing: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24236092 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Thrust Bearing: Automotive

And requires a updated Reaction Shaft......
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241255 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Shaft: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241255 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Shaft: Automotive

Because you have a '99, You will need the Torrington between the Reaction shaft & Sunshell, Yours has a Thrust Washer.....
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24217328 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Thrust Bearing: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24217328 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier Thrust Bearing: Automotive

For the Reaction Planet, A stock "High Speed" 4-pinion is fine.....
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241240 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission High Speed Reaction Carrier with Deflector: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241240 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission High Speed Reaction Carrier with Deflector: Automotive

Bottom line, I would run the 5-pinion Input because you want to "Rollerize" anyway, And the newer 4-pinion & 5-pinion prices are very close.

4-pinion High Speed planet because they ARE dirt cheap at $80, The 5-pinion is $244.....
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241244 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24241244 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Carrier: Automotive

Quick Reply: Performace Parts Help Please