Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking Converter Purchase; Lead me to the right direction!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rethinking Converter Purchase; Lead me to the right direction!

Good Day all,

6 Month ago before I deployed I picked up a cheap TCI 3500 converter, I haven't installed it yet, but before I put my Formula in storage, I had tranny fluid leaking from the cooler lines. The trans seemed to be toast, and with some play money when I come back, it's not a bad idea to get my 4L60e rebuilt. There is a local builder that is recommended by everyone.

What converter should I look into? Bolt on 98 LS1/3.42 gear. I plan on getting a Tick Street/Strip cam after the trans is done. Maybe even 100 shot spray on top of the new cam.

The Fireturd is my daily for the good weather days. Normally travel 30mi daily at highway speeds.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the same thing. I picked up a lightly used tci converter cheap. Well after building the trans I decided I didn't want the tci so it is for sale. I went with a FTI 4000 hard hit instead. I don't have to drive my car every day and I don't live but 10 minutes from work so even if I did it aint to bad anyway. For your application I would at least pick up a yank ss3600 or a 3600 from circle d or FTI should all be a great choice. A friend of mine has a yank 3600 in his car and its tight enough for him to drive anywhere and he sometimes say he wishes it was a little looser so I think it may be perfect for what your looking for. Call all of them and see what they have to say.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam will like a higher stall to get in the powerband , too small a convertor with a cam a lot of times = slower than bolt ons.

Problem is nitrous likes a tighter convertor so you need to figure out if you will really be going that route and get the opinion of some quality manufacturers on what might do both for you decently (cam and spray).
Old 09-26-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Yank, Circle D, FTI and others with a billet cover are good. Something in the 3200 to 3600 range. Just say away from TCI and other cheap convers without billet covers. Be sure to tell them that you plan on using nitrous.

Quick Reply: Rethinking Converter Purchase; Lead me to the right direction!