Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise after tranny pulled

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weird noise after tranny pulled

I had my main rear seal replaced so the mechanic pulled the tranny, either the day after or a couple days after the car makes a noise that seems to come from the drive train but not the tranny itself.the car drives fine, but the noise starts about 20-30mph and doesn't go away. It's s weird humming noise so I'm wondering if the driveshaft could have gotten warped or bent in the process or what this could be?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

First off, I'm not trying to be condescending at all!

Anytime work is performed on a customers vehicle, They will listen to their vehicle a lot closer than before, Noises that were already present can now be heard.
I am not saying the noise couldn't be the fault of the trans R&R, It is possible.

I always (If possible) test drive a vehicle before I perform any work, And note every noise, vibration, exhaust leak & pull on the invoice.

A DS getting bent during a trans R&R is not likely, A green tech dropping a U-joint cup & losing a few needle bearings is.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, this noise was certainly not there before so I'm just trying to narrow it down to what it could be since I'm in Florida now and this happened in Illinois pretty much right before the car was transported here.
Would the u joint cup losing needles make an intermittent humming noise once reassembled ?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by z28pat
Thanks, this noise was certainly not there before so I'm just trying to narrow it down to what it could be since I'm in Florida now and this happened in Illinois pretty much right before the car was transported here.
Would the u joint cup losing needles make an intermittent humming noise once reassembled ?
U-joints are the first thing I would check.

Quick Reply: Weird noise after tranny pulled