Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need to upgrade the converter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do i need to upgrade the converter?

long story short.... I was going to start at the rear and build my car working my way forward.. however a little incident with rod knock has now forced me to do the build the other way. im leaving my top end stock for now. but doing a 383 stroker with an MS4 cam and valvebody to match...

I have the stock 4l60e and the stock drive shaft and rear end. (before I get a lot of flack for that, I don't inherently drive my car like I stole it. in the two years ive owned it ive only lit the tires up once and that was the day I was getting new ones. so driving like ive got something to prove isn't an issue)

so im just wondering if I will need to throw in a new converter or will my stock one last me through the winter if I just drive it like a normal car with the occasional rolling romp to get a thrill of it all.. I plan on getting a new rear end and then transmission in that order next spring and summer. so should I just wait and do it then and maybe take that extra money and thow it towards a fast intake and TB?

any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be appreciated thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally converters arent what goes bad in the 4l60. Its usually the sun gear/cage teeth get sheared off or the 3/4 clutches get burned. A 383 and a MS4 cam arent gonna work with the stock converter and can easily power through stock trans clutches leaving you once again broken down and in the rain. I wouldnt put a new converter in an old stock trans with the power your planing on making either. Why not just pick up a stock shortblock for now and continue the build plans you had previously?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Agreed that the MS4 cam and stock converter are a bad combo, but it won't hurt the converter.
The MS4 cam is very aggressive for even a 383 stroker. IMHO I would suggest at least a 113 LSA (14.5* overlap), perhaps a 115 LSA (12.5* overlap), or you will have a lot of idle tuning challenges. Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't beat on it but want a cam, go with a 224r.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock stall and aftermarket cam is never optimal. Power band moves up with cam and stock stall doesn't get into powerband well as it is. A cam without a stall is often called a turd stick...

Building from the rear forward is great but with an a4 you can get away with a lot of mods without hurting the 10 bolt especially if you aren't thrashing it all the time like your saying , if you were camming an m6 car and planning to hit the track on sticky tires upgrading the rear right away would be an excellent idea

Quick Reply: Do i need to upgrade the converter?