Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud "clunk" sound from under car

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default loud "clunk" sound from under car

When the trans up shifts into 2nd, you hear this loud "clunk" sound, I was thinking it was the trans mount because had the same problem with another f-body in the past and it was the trans mount. well, I got under the car and checked it out... the mount didnt look that great, but it didnt look split or ripped or anything. BUT, while I was under there, I noticed that the bushing for the TA attached to the trans looked split. is it supposed to look split? it looks split straight thru. can that cause that clunking sound??? Please help ASAP. Taking the Trans Am on a 1100 mile trip in 3 weeks.

PS: 00 Trans Am A4 3.23
stock trans and suspension
Old 06-10-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Please... Anyone... I Need Help Quick
Old 06-11-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

PLEASE PEOPLE!!!!!!!! I NEED HELP ASAP... I LEAVE IN LIKE 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!! someone has to know
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really going to be much help but, I've had two transmissions rebuild t and both have done this once re-intalled. In the first one we know that the problem was. It was in a beater truck that had a missing tooth in the gears. No biggy. (That was like over 15 years ago and the damn thing is still running around town!!!!!) The other is a TH350 we just did last year on my truck. Everything went ok on the install though. What I'll do is call the transmission place that did the work and ask. I just gotta find the number!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Put your hand on the tranny tail shaft and push up as hard as you can; this will usually identify a broken trans mount. Also check the motor mounts...

If this is not a problem, check your driveshaft U-joints by twisting the drive shaft clockwise and counterclockwise while your car is in park. If the needle bearings are worn out in the U-joints you will know it....

These are the most common sources of clunking noises...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

i suppose it also could be a few teeth missing in the rear end.... but my guess is that this would not clunk only on a 2-3 shift....

a bad auto tranny will go clunk on a 2-3 shift but the mounts and U-joints are a more likely source to check first..... How does it shift - firm, soft, mushy?? ...and the fluid - is it nice and brown and does it smell like a burning oil refinery?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

well i figured i would just go ahead and change the trans mount and put in a poly one, and as i suspected the mount was shot.....thats for your imput everyone... woohoo now i get to go on my road trip...
Old 06-12-2004, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

I have had both a broken trans mount and a bad U-joint in my '94 (at two different times) and I can tell you that they suprisingly sound quite similar.

BTW - You are going to hate your poly trans mount on your road trip due to all the extra vibration. If your car isn't too built w/ too big of a stall, you can buy an LT4 trans mount. I think it will work with any 4th gen.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by seadoo
When the trans up shifts into 2nd, you hear this loud "clunk" sound, I was thinking it was the trans mount because had the same problem with another f-body in the past and it was the trans mount. well, I got under the car and checked it out... the mount didnt look that great, but it didnt look split or ripped or anything. BUT, while I was under there, I noticed that the bushing for the TA attached to the trans looked split. is it supposed to look split? it looks split straight thru. can that cause that clunking sound??? Please help ASAP. Taking the Trans Am on a 1100 mile trip in 3 weeks.

PS: 00 Trans Am A4 3.23
stock trans and suspension
Your converter is not on tight. Make sure the bolts on the flywheel are flush and tightened.

Quick Reply: loud "clunk" sound from under car