Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacer question

Yes, I read the sticky and yes I did a search.

I am just replacing a cracked flexplate in a GMC 2500 truck.

LQ4 engine and 4l80e trans. It is a 2002 and does not have extended crank. It does have the spacer between the crank and stock flat flexplate.

What I bought was the Hughes HP4004x-ebp flexplate from Summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hp4004x-ebp

The new flexplate is dished.

Do I put it on without the spacer? (it looks like it will work)
Put the spacer between flexplate & converter? (something about supporting the nose of the converter)
Send it back to Summit & get a flat flexplate?

Last edited by shawnr; 11-13-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to use the spacer between the flexplate and the converter. A bit unorthodox, but works.

-Brian
Old 11-14-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

GM came out with an improved 80E flexplate, still uses the stock .400 crank spacer, if you wanted to go that way
Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up just running to Jegs this morning and picking up a TCI flat flexplate (TCI399754). Summit will take the Hughes one back

It is WAY overkill for stock engine and stock truck, but I really don't want to have to do this again. I ditched the original spacer since this one has it built into the flexplate.

Now I have a fairly loud ticking sound when the truck is running.

My theory is that since this new one is significantly thicker, the bolt heads are tapping against something as it rotates. I am hoping that it is just the shied underneath the converter. I'll probably pull it tomorrow and verify. I may just let the hardened bolt heads chew their way thru the aluminum and make a path.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawnr
Yes, I read the sticky and yes I did a search.

I am just replacing a cracked flexplate in a GMC 2500 truck.

LQ4 engine and 4l80e trans. It is a 2002 and does not have extended crank. It does have the spacer between the crank and stock flat flexplate.

What I bought was the Hughes HP4004x-ebp flexplate from Summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hp4004x-ebp

The new flexplate is dished.

Do I put it on without the spacer? (it looks like it will work)
Put the spacer between flexplate & converter? (something about supporting the nose of the converter)
Send it back to Summit & get a flat flexplate?
do not use spacer between plate and converter will not properly center converter get the small centering bushing here's a video

https://youtu.be/8wpaqjiQXYI
Old 12-16-2016, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

I recommended the bolt on spacer because the OP had one already. He didn't have to buy anything. The bolt on spacer does properly center the converter. It has been my experience that the crank sticks through a stamped steel flex plate enough to center the spacer too. Of course the pilot extender is an option and it works.

OP, the TCI flex plate is nice. It is not a "flat" flex plate even though It looks flat. It has risers where the converter bolts up. This simulates the factory dish. You will still have to use the supplied pilot extender.

-Brian
Old 12-16-2016, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Circle-D_Brian
I recommended the bolt on spacer because the OP had one already. He didn't have to buy anything. The bolt on spacer does properly center the converter. It has been my experience that the crank sticks through a stamped steel flex plate enough to center the spacer too. Of course the pilot extender is an option and it works.

OP, the TCI flex plate is nice. It is not a "flat" flex plate even though It looks flat. It has risers where the converter bolts up. This simulates the factory dish. You will still have to use the supplied pilot extender.

-Brian

hmm well when when I tried the GM spacer between the converter and the flexplate it floated as there was nothing to definitively center this spacer other than the bolts and it had movement so.....
Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With a factory flex plate there is typically enough of the crank protruding past the flex plate to still center the OE spacer. But that is something to watch out for, bolts are not enough to center it.

Chris
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Circle-D
With a factory flex plate there is typically enough of the crank protruding past the flex plate to still center the OE spacer. But that is something to watch out for, bolts are not enough to center it.

Chris
oh I haven't tried factory flexplate like that
i thought this was about the TCI unit
im using 399754

Quick Reply: Spacer question