Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow shifting, not downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow shifting, not downshifting

I have a 00 z28 that since I bought it back in August has had a problem shifting. The guy before me the day before I bought it had put in a 60e from a 4.8 truck with 60k. Problems are under normal acceleration it only shifts into 2nd at 15 mph. Nothing less. Also when already rolling it won't downshift into the right gear or at all. If I'm in 2nd it'll stay in 2nd even if I'm going 20 mph. If im going 40 or so in 4th and I go Wot it will only go into 3rd. Here's the thing tho, sometimes it will downshift into the right gear but that's only like 1 out 10 times. What I also noticed is it will downshift right more often if i drop it into regular drive. Does this sound like a trans problem? Also from a dig it's feels like it takes forever to get up to speed. Then shifts are really slow and soft, 1-2 and 2-3. Car won't spin from a dig, let alone chirp 1-2. Aaannnd another thing I noticed Is accelerating moderately fast, say 40 or 50% throttle, it feels like it shifts three times going from 1-2. For example, it'll shift into 2nd and then right after feels like it goes into neutral or first, and then shifts back into 2nd. It all happens all fast though. Fluid looks and smells normal. Sorry in advance writing a lot but appreciate the help ahead of time!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Most likely engine performance issues, Is the Check Engine Light On? Check the MAF, TPS & MAP sensors.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No CEL. I was watching the live data yesterday while driving and MAF seemed to be reading fine as well as the TPS and MAP. Another thing I should note is that I noticed a leak a few days after I bought it, cooler line has a crack in it that's leaks a little bit. Ended up checking the fluid level 4 days after I bought it and the dipstick was barely showing fluid, just the very tip had some.. Did I possibly damage the trans by driving it that low?

Quick Reply: Slow shifting, not downshifting