Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd grinding at stoplights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd grinding at stoplights

Lately ive been getting this weird grinding noise from my car at stoplights, with the tranny in D and the brake pedal depressed. At first I assumed my exhaust was vibrating and chaulked it up to bad motor mounts. However when I slide the tras into N the noise goes away. Perhaps a bad forward sprag? Or another sign of my tourqe converter bad? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A grinding sound from the forward sprag would indicated imminent failure, if not already.
Does the sound exist in Reverse too? If yes, you can probably rule out the trans.
Sounds are hard to diagnose, but I have never read a post hear about a trans causing a grinding sound at a stop light.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

It still could be your exhaust. When in drive the engine torques over and the left side of the engine, trans and exhaust raises up. When you put it in neutral the engine will go back to its normal unloaded place. But I don’t know if I would describe an exhaust rattle as a grinding noise. As mrvedit said it is highy unlikely it is the forward sprag.

Quick Reply: odd grinding at stoplights