Sponsored by:

Thanks to everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to everyone

Hello Everyone,

This is a quick thread to thank everyone who has posted about a 1-2 shift/flare problem with the 4L60E. Thanks to these posts, I have fixed my problem for the least amount of money, and my truck shifts like it should.

Thank you from the bottom of my wallet

Steve
Old 12-19-2015, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wait, what was the problem/fix?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem: Previous owner didn't drive the truck. I bought it in August with 8300 miles, and now it has 13100. It sat and had nothing done to it as far as I can tell. Upon purchase it shifted fine, but not like my 96 Impala SS. I thought this was due to torque management on the newer trans. I was wrong.

Fast forward to November/December time frame. My truck flares/slips from 1-2 so bad that it goes right into 3rd. All gears are there, but 2nd is not engaging like it should. 3-4 shift is fine, as is the kick down into 1st or 3rd, but not 2nd since it just flares/slips.

I read and read, and read some more. So I decided to spend a few bucks and see if I can fix it. First I replaced the throttle position sensor ($34). All that did was make my truck idle better and feel smoother. I got AC Delco shift solenoids installed, both 1-2 and 2-3 since they were both $11 each. The Sonnax pinless forward accumulator ($15) also went in during that service since I read the factory plastic ones can crack. Fluid was perfect and nothing in the pan or filter. New filter and fluid.

That didn't work. So I got the Sonnax Billet 2/4 servos ($171). That is what solved my problem. I'm guessing that the pin might have been too short, or there was a bad o-ring on the factory servo. The truck shifts extremely nice now. I also had random rpm hiccups when I was cruising on the highway. I heard that can be caused by a faulty torque converter lock up solenoid, which is tied into the 2-4 servo, or at least I think that is what I read. All the hydraulic diagrams for this transmission can cause blindness.

Anyways, that the story. It shifts great now and I am very happy. This forum saved my Christmas by getting my truck back in action.

Quick Reply: Thanks to everyone