Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to auto swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 to auto swap

Hey all, was curious if I could get a little guidance here. Wanting to go stalled auto as Im planning to go turbo and get a little more serious at the track. Potential plan is to go 4L80. Some questions I have would be the parts list primarily. Obviously the trans, what about the driveshaft? I'm going either 9" or 12-bolt, so what do I need to keep in mind in that regard? Also, what do I need to know as far as the transmission harness and such?

In case you haven't noticed, Im pretty newb. Been reading a lot, but it gets overwhelming. I want to do it myself though, most I've ever done is a clutch/rear main on the car, so I'm pretty bare bones when it comes to knowledge in depth

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Use the Advanced search - enter "4l80e swap" for the search and limit it to the Automatic Transmission section. Lots of threads and while a 4L60E to 4L80E swap is the more common, plenty of those apply to you too. Here are two long threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-required.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l80e-swap.html
Old 01-01-2016, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to have the computer control the trans you either need to purchase a 4l80 extension harness so you can run a 4l80 tune or you can do it the way in that first thread that is linked above there with relays and run it off a 4l60 tune.

There is also a few standalone controllers I believe as well.

If you want to go full manual you don't have to purchase anything and can keep a m6 tune I believe.

I went with the full auto and got my buddy to do the segment swap for me and I have had no issues out of my setup other than the convertOr unlocking when I slightly light off the throttle. I have changed the table in hp tuners to multiple set ups that people said have worked for them with no luck at all on that. But it's not a big a deal to me as it is to others.

As far as the other things, you need to make you a cover plate to cover the old shifter hole so you can bolt your new auto shifter down to that and also have to make a little small cover for where the master cylinder was on the firewall. Neither are a big task to do.

You'll need a shifter of course, cable, convertor, trans crossmember, trans mount, and a good quality trans cooler. You'll also have to wire reverse lights in and the nuetral safety switch which. Good luck to you, I did this swap a few months ago and I really love the stalled auto over the m6. Happy modding to ya and happy new year!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by slow_FNG
Some questions I have would be the parts list primarily. what about the driveshaft? I'm going either 9" or 12-bolt, so what do I need to keep in mind in that regard?
Measure and order the driveshaft when the trans and rear are installed. I wouldn't have one made based on someone elses measurements.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Measure and order the driveshaft when the trans and rear are installed. I wouldn't have one made based on someone elses measurements.
Absolutely. Forget about this. You'll either need a yoke to swap out on your current shaft or just order s whole new shaft. I bought a brand new one when I did my 9" and luckily when I put the 80e in with the new yoke the ds was perfect fit from the t56 and 9" combo so I ended up not having to order another brand new shaft.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed, I am following your thread now because I'm looking to do the same swap with my M6 . Looks to me like your off to a well informed good start .
Good luck, and keep posting progress.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info, thanks guys. Currently looking for the trans and will go from there, thanks again!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Not a problem. Holler if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply: M6 to auto swap