Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e neutral safety switch delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e neutral safety switch delete

I've searched some and think I know the answer but just want to confirm.

I want to delete the neutral safety switch on my 4l80e and use the factory wiring on my 87 Monte Carlo to handle neutral safety and starting. Can I pull the switch off the trans and delete all the wires that plug into it without an issue? I'm cleaning up my wiring harness and want to delete as many wires as possible and the NSS mounted in the trans is on my chopping block. I have HPTuners if I need to change anything in the tune.

I want to run the stock Monte starting wiring and just tie the computer into the switched 12v that would have powered the ignition on the old engine.

Also I am going to be installing a TCI floor shifter and while shopping I saw that some B&M shifters say that a different cable bracket is needed for 4l80e tans with NSS (because the shift shaft is longer??). Is there a shorter shifter shaft that should be installed when deleting the NSS and installing an aftermarket shifter and cable on an 80?

Thanks for looking,

Last edited by spacemanspif; 01-26-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, You can delete the wiring. Early 4L80E's had a short shift shaft that you can swap in, '91-'94 IIRC.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

It is good to have the Park/Neutral signal from your shifter connect to the PCM because the tune has separate idle advance tables for Park/Neutral and Drive. Without that signal, the engine might have a tendency to stall (especially with hot cams) when you shift from Drive into Reverse or Drive.

If important to you, I think that Neutral safety switch also controls the backup lights.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool that is what I thought but just wanted to make sure, thanks clinebarger. No worries mrvedit, the NSS and back up lights will activated through the switches on the shifter once it's installed and the stalling isn't an issue for me because I still have a stock engine. Thanks for the warning, though, it is something I will keep in the back of mind for future mods.

Quick Reply: 4l80e neutral safety switch delete