Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Transmission - should I run?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Monster Transmission - should I run?

I'm shopping for fresh 4l80E for my swap that is capable of handling 500hp. I've heard that Jake's performance builds a good set up but have been looking into Monster transmissions which from a cost standpoint is much better. After multiple searches on this sight I can't find any input good or bad regarding their service, quality and general reputation. Anyone here have first hand experience with them that can provide input? Some posts on line indicate they have a young team with low experience level / training with warranty issues. Anyone else to consider to help keep costs down? I'm looking for a competitively priced transmission from someone that really knows the 4L80e well and will stand behind it without question.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster does not have a good reputation. Never dealt with them personally but there's so much negative written online about them that it's hard to find something positive.

Jake's has a stellar reputation for the 4l80e, but I have no experience with them personally, just what I read in forums.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surprised you cant find anything on this site regarding monster trans reputation been plenty of drama over the years. There is no connection between monster trans and monster clutch BTW they have a good reputation and cust service on here for clutches
Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're shopping for an '80E online, Jake is your guy.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

A 500 HP 4L80E is a pretty basic piece.
Doesn't take much fancy.
Good rebuild, some minor hydraulic upgrades is about it.

I wouldn't do the Monster thing but where are you located?
Might be a builder locally who I can recommend.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
A 500 HP 4L80E is a pretty basic piece.
Doesn't take much fancy.
Good rebuild, some minor hydraulic upgrades is about it.

I wouldn't do the Monster thing but where are you located?
Might be a builder locally who I can recommend.
I live in Michigan and often drive through the Detroit area for work. I've been asking locals about reputable shops with 4L80 expertise but haven't come up with anything yet. Recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to describe monster is this....

When you buy a junk yard trans with 200k on it you know you are buying just that, a junk yard trans with 200k on it.

Now when you buy a monster trans. You are paying for a new trans but are getting a junk yard trans with 200k on it.

Hope that helps.

A Jakes trans (jakeshoe) is one of the top builders in the 4l80 world. You can't compare the the two in any way what so ever.... spend once, cry once.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
I live in Michigan and often drive through the Detroit area for work. I've been asking locals about reputable shops with 4L80 expertise but haven't come up with anything yet. Recommendations would be appreciated.
I have a guy in that area that used to work for Hydramatic and build racing units. I can ask if he's interested.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

INCREDIBLE !!

This morning a brand new member posted in this thread with strange (broken) links to "positive Monster Transmission video and audio testimonials". The handle clearly indicated this was a representative of the company. The forum rules clearly state that any type of self-promotion by non-sponsors is not allowed. So MT clearly doesn't care about our rules.

I deleted the post and have asked the Admin to ban the new member.

While I hate to repeat my posts, I recently posted this:
As an IT guy I determined several years ago the Monster Transmission was hosting and controlling a "review site" which looked independent, but obviously was not; it was on the same server as their website. And of course only very good reviews, not a single bad one. After I documented that on various forums, they moved their "review" site to a different server so that their deceit was not so obvious.

I originally documented this deceit in post #2 here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...smissions.html

If you google "Monster Transmission complaints" will find plenty, such as:

http://monster-transmission.pissedconsumer.com/

(It takes a lot of effort to get your own page on pissedconsumer.com.)

The Better Business Bureau is no better:

http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/busi...le-fl-90008419

And you can search just on this forum and find things like:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...smissions.html

L92_OLDS: Does that answer your question?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wondering when I saw the name, brand new account with a single post, and how it had a link to positive reviews. Just no shame at all...
Old 02-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

When searching "Monster Transmission complaints", I noticed that one result was a link to their "reviews" site. Wondering, I checked the HTML code on that page's website. As listed below, their suggested Keywords to Google include "complaints" and "issues", hoping to move their own review site to the top of the list for people searching for complaints.

Note: I had to change the actual HTML tags to "Title:" and "Meta Name" , because this forum does not allow such tags.
====================
Title: Monster Transmission Reviews, Monster Transmission Raving Fans, Monster Transmission Customers, Monster Transmission Consumer, Monster Transmission Clients, Monster Transmission Complaints, Monster Transmission Issue free
META NAME: Monster Transmission Reviews, Monster Transmission Raving Fans, Monster Transmission Customers, Monster Transmission Consumer, Monster Transmission Clients, Monster Transmission Complaints, Monster Transmission Issue free
====================

Having reviewed many websites, this is very unusual, and I would say unethical.

Last edited by mrvedit; 02-10-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

500hp is perfectly fine for even a stock 4L80...so I wouldn't worry about where to get it built.

FLT, Performabuilt and RPM might be other choices to look at if you do want something like that though.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
INCREDIBLE !!

L92_OLDS: Does that answer your question?
Yes....thanks for the time you put into this mrvedit.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
500hp is perfectly fine for even a stock 4L80...so I wouldn't worry about where to get it built.

FLT, Performabuilt and RPM might be other choices to look at if you do want something like that though.
Thanks...since my original post I've decided I will need a trans capable of 700hp to handle the next power adder. I trust a local guy near me for the build but after a few checks its beginning to look like finding a good core for a reasonable price may be challenging. The few 2001 and up cores in my area (Michigan rust belt) have major corrosion.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Rpm makes good stuff.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even a 700 hp build is small potatoes. You can't go wrong with Jakes transmissions. I haven't had any issues with mine and his shop helped me plenty along the way with the install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monster Transmission - should I run?