Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES codes and idle surge after PT4400 install..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES codes and idle surge after PT4400 install..

I had no codes, decent idle but my converter was tight. I put in a used PT4400 and crusing home that night SES came on.
2 codes: intermitent spark knock and "get service-transmission component slipping"!
The converter is loose - but can these codes be tuned out?
It also has idle surging since the converter went in...
help? Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle surging is probably from the YTP 4400 being lighter and smaller diameter than your previous converter. Try the idle relearn procedure.

Not sure why you are getting a spark code. Take a look down where the bell housing meets the block and make sure no (non-plug) wires got pinched during the install. I've seen it happen on my car.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Idle surging is probably from the YTP 4400 being lighter and smaller diameter than your previous converter. Try the idle relearn procedure.

Not sure why you are getting a spark code. Take a look down where the bell housing meets the block and make sure no (non-plug) wires got pinched during the install. I've seen it happen on my car.
what is the relaern procedure?
I can't get to Slowhawks's for a couple of weeks and wondered if I can do anything without Edit...
thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle Relearn:
Pull the fuses for the PCM (there are 2; as I recall they are labeled PCM BAT and PCM Ign) and turn the key to on for a moment. Some people let the car sit for 30 minutes (not with the ignition on) and then pop the fuses back in. This should cause the computer to loose what it has learned. Then start the car and let it idle all the way until it is hot. It is a good idea to do minute or two in park and then switch to drive for a minute or two and then switch back until the car is fully warmed up.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Idle Relearn:
Pull the fuses for the PCM (there are 2; as I recall they are labeled PCM BAT and PCM Ign) and turn the key to on for a moment. Some people let the car sit for 30 minutes (not with the ignition on) and then pop the fuses back in. This should cause the computer to loose what it has learned. Then start the car and let it idle all the way until it is hot. It is a good idea to do minute or two in park and then switch to drive for a minute or two and then switch back until the car is fully warmed up.
this looses what the PCM learned for idle - nothing with his edit tune?
thanks!