Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e troubles

I have a 5.3/ 4l80e combo in my project car, I went through the trans and rebuilt with the Jakes stage 2 kit, and a Circle D 3800rpm triple disk billet converter. Everything went together well, everything well within tolerance.

When i first installed it, I noticed that when you place the shifter in low, the trans locked up solid. The trans works fine in all other ranges and gears, with maybe first being a little laggy, but Just thought that was the nature of a high stall torque converter. The pressures looked good, at idle 95psi in park, 105 in drive, and 140 in reverse. WOT pressures are 200psi. The car drove fine in all drive, 3, 2 with 1,2,3, and 4 being there.

I decided to unplug the trans and see if low would work and to my amazement, it does. pressures were at 240psi. But when you plug the connector back in, low locks up again. I decided to ohm all the wires to the trans and make sure everything is wired correctly, which i can confirm. I went into HP Tuners and did a scan to make sure the pressure switch read correctly, and it does show D1 in low, and the computer is commanding 1st gear.

I took it to the track, seeing as everything felt well and the trans had 1000 miles on it, it would be fine. first pass trans shifted ok, then further tuning on the motor i started to notice the 1-2 shift getting soft and starting to slip and then once second hits, the car would almost slingshot and come alive. At the end of that pass i smelled the trans fluid and knew she was done.

Obviously the trans will be coming apart over the weekend, has anyone else had an issue similar to this? Im thinking it could be a issue with the rear band, or the low roller clutch not holding.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

When you unplug the controller, doesn't it pervert to 2nd and rev only? so you might have thought it was in 1st

Quick Reply: 4l80e troubles