Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 90mph on up car feels sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 90mph on up car feels sluggish

Like the title says but i just noticed this feeling yesterday. I I need to give it more throttle than before and converter takes more throttle to unlock. I should note that because of my coolant overheating problem (only at a stop) I've been forced to disconnect the MAF sensor, so both high speed fans can come on and prevent me from boiling over. I've been driving on and off the MAF for the past week and just now noticed my 90+ performance has suffered with the MAF connected and without it connected. No difference wether it's plugged in or not.

I'm not sure if running no MAF for a week has anything to do with these 90+ symptoms or not

Btw I drive 40 miles one way to work everyday (80 miles total) so I use the 3-4 clutches most of my driving. It almost feels like there slipping but it's hard to tell. I'll see if I can get a video of my gauges off my phone while driving. Hopefully you guys can get an idea just by reading the gauges.

I'm not sure if this is even a Trans issue or a motor issue.

Notes: these accel runs are not wot. There rolling into the throttle, and I notice it does it after the car has been driving for a few minutes no matter if the temp is 180 or 220. I doubt it's a closed loop open loop deal.

Another note I feel a slight vibration coming from motor. You feel it most (in terms of what speed) from 85and up. The more you roll into the throttle the worse it gets. Almost feels like a misfire but it sure is firing on all 8. This vibration wouldn't be felt by a newb.

I'm trying to explain this BS a thorough as possible so you guys can diag from a better. Lol

Anyways
Thank you.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 03-11-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:12 AM
TECH Regular

If you unplug the maf then try and reconnect it, u need to reset the computer so it goes back to normal operation. Driving with the maf unplugged will give very shitty performance, and simply plugging it back in won't restore it without resetting the computer. Fix the overheating problem and run it like it should be, then we'll go from there. You gotta fix known problems before beginning to diagnose others...
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
If you unplug the maf then try and reconnect it, u need to reset the computer so it goes back to normal operation. Driving with the maf unplugged will give very shitty performance, and simply plugging it back in won't restore it without resetting the computer. Fix the overheating problem and run it like it should be, then we'll go from there. You gotta fix known problems before beginning to diagnose others...
As I stated in the first post, I already connected the MAF back, resetting the computer, and it's still doing the same thing. It does it even when the car isn't overheating. Im going to get that fixed but I was just trying to get some go ahead knowledge once I fix it. That way I'm not having to make this thread then.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

How did you "reset" the computer?
You need to reset the "Long Term Fuel Trims". I don't know if disconnecting the PCM for 30 minutes does that. I just use my HPT Scanner, but you may not have quick access to a scanner that can reset the fuel trims. Else you just have to drive for 30 minutes or so to get the recalculated.

If the car is overheating the PCM might be reducing power to protect it; the PCM does read engine temperature.
All problems and codes need to be fixed before addressing unusual power or shifting issues.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
As I stated in the first post, I already connected the MAF back, resetting the computer, and it's still doing the same thing. It does it even when the car isn't overheating. Im going to get that fixed but I was just trying to get some go ahead knowledge once I fix it. That way I'm not having to make this thread then.
Have you fixed the problem because i am having the same problem and don’t know what to do. Please help!
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Austin: First welcome to the forum.
I know its not clearly explained when you joined, but we frown upon people posting on years- old threads because all posters will get alerts that one of their threads just got a new post. This thread has been dead for 4 years
I also know you have to post on an existing thread before you can start your own. No problem, newbies do this all the time.
FYI, if you click on a poster's name, you get the option to see other posts by that person, most recently listed first. In this case the OP (Original Poster) hasn't been active here for 3 years and has likely moved on.

If you think your problem is transmission related post it here; else post it where appropriate. My guess is that your problem is engine related and you could post in the Tuning section.

I will also close this thread; partly to encourage people to start new threads.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrvedit:
MaroonMonsterLS1 (04-24-2020), vorteciroc (04-23-2020)

Quick Reply: From 90mph on up car feels sluggish