Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question(s) about replacing transmission lines (4L60E)

Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question(s) about replacing transmission lines (4L60E)

So I'm replacing the transmission cooler lines on my 97 Firebird due to one of the hard lines being bent and developing a small leak. It's in a bad spot (close to the transmission itself) so just cutting the part off and putting a piece of hose in it's place isn't an option.

Would I have to drop the transmission to get to the hard line connectors? Peeking up at the transmission from the bottom of the car, it seems like a really tight fit, and I'm not too sure if I'll have enough room to get a wrench in there and get it off. I know a lot of you have replaced these with braided hose lines and I'm leaning towards doing the same, but I don't want to tackle this project if I'm going to have to drop the trans

Also, the connectors that screw the hard lines into the trans case are 3/8" NPT right?

Thanks for any help, and all comments are welcome!
Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristopherWelkin

Would I have to drop the transmission to get to the hard line connectors? Peeking up at the transmission from the bottom of the car, it seems like a really tight fit, and I'm not too sure if I'll have enough room to get a wrench in there and get it off. I know a lot of you have replaced these with braided hose lines and I'm leaning towards doing the same, but I don't want to tackle this project if I'm going to have to drop the trans

No you don't have to drop to get to them. I was able to get mine out and actually replaced them with some -6an fittings to run an external cooler all without removing the transmission. You will however most likely need to lower the cross member of transmission to give yourself a little more room. I had to have a buddy with girl like hands get up in there to at least get old ones removed and new ones started before i was able to let the wrench take over.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

NO the treads are not NPT. They are straight threads that require a sealing washer or o-ring.
An NPT will thread in, but if tightened too far (e.g. to stop leaking) will crack the case.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

All 4L60E cases take 1/4" NPSM (National Pipe Straight Mechanical) Fittings. There is an exception....Around 2008 GM changed over to Metric threads.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by klinznilk
No you don't have to drop to get to them. I was able to get mine out and actually replaced them with some -6an fittings to run an external cooler all without removing the transmission. You will however most likely need to lower the cross member of transmission to give yourself a little more room. I had to have a buddy with girl like hands get up in there to at least get old ones removed and new ones started before i was able to let the wrench take over.
That's good to know that I won't have to drop it. Now to find someone with "girl like hands"
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
NO the treads are not NPT. They are straight threads that require a sealing washer or o-ring.
An NPT will thread in, but if tightened too far (e.g. to stop leaking) will crack the case.
Ahh gotcha, makes sense that a taper wouldn't be smart to put in there. Must've sucked for anyone who learned that the hard way!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clinebarger
All 4L60E cases take 1/4" NPSM (National Pipe Straight Mechanical) Fittings. There is an exception....Around 2008 GM changed over to Metric threads.
Thanks man. So if I wanted to do AN fittings/braided lines I'd need a 1/4" NPSM to -6AN adapter? Who even sells those, summit?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Not sure of the Summit part numbers but easy to find on ebay if you search for "4l60e 6AN fittings".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick question(s) about replacing transmission lines (4L60E)