Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 2500 Silverado 2WD Shifting and Speedo problem after new trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 2500 Silverado 2WD Shifting and Speedo problem after new trans

PROBLEM- Rebuild 4L80E 2WD, Customer reinstalled trans now speedo will not go above 35MPH and lock up will not engage.

TL;DR AT THE BOTTOM!

Ok guys this is going to be a long one and I will try to be informative as I can be.

The original problem: 2004 2500 Silverado 2WD, Planetaries grenaded.
-Customer buys a used 4L80E 4WD trans off craigslist and is told its low mileage. Customer test drives this transmission in the truck before buying and swears it's a perfect functioning trans.

Customer comes to me and we make a deal, make 1 good transmission out of the two and I keep all extra parts.

-Customer takes his original 2WD (2004) trans apart down to nothing, we're talking full strip and rebuild status before I arrive to pick up his parts. Ok no big deal.

I inspect all parts removed from 2WD trans. Both planets destroyed, one way sprag, 3RD/4TH completely burned up including steels. Case looked good no visible damage at all, all bores and veins looked smooth to look and feel.

Move onto disassembly of 4WD trans (2005) Find Borg Warner clutches. No other upgrades. Transmission is not the original low mileage trans he was sold. Clutches are used but still pretty fresh/no heat spots but obvious clutch material in the fluid. A little darker than preferred but not sludgy brown. All Torrington bearings are good all bushings look practically brand new.

- Customer wants original case just all parts swapped over. Fine move all ccomponents over to his original case with new seals installed (on my dime).
-End play is right in the middle of spec, all clutch packs air tested (passed), everything goes together perfectly and every tolerance is right in the middle.
-I did take the Valve body off of the 4WD (2005) Trans and install it onto the original WD case with new VB gasket. No pitting/flashing where bearings ride.
All seals that were touched were replaced, new filter/pan gasket and she's done.

Fast forward and customer receives trans, Customer is told to buy a new converter, and flush cooler lines with Kooler Klean. He states he used 3 cans and lines ran clean within the first can. He then ran two more to be sure.

-Customer installs trans, tops fluid off. Test drives around his neighborhood and performs perfectly.
-Next day goes to work and he hears a whine that he states sounds like his old transmission but continues to drive to his work (approx 45 minute drive).
-trans will shift insanely harsh every shift and no lock up. Speedo will go up to 35 MPH but is not accurate with true speed from about 2MPH onward. Whine is very loud in first/second gear.
-No check codes at all.
-On decel both ABS and E Brake lights on dash light up but when come to a stop they go off. At no point does a CEL come on.

-I drive to customers house, check fluid level. A little dark but still red not burnt smelling. Approx 3 to 4 qts over filled. Use hand pump to remove excess fluid. Hook up snap on edge, no codes.
-leave scanner hooked up and go for drive. Find that it shifts a little late but shifts through all gears. Whine is obvious and very audible but only through first/second gear. Not audible through higher gear range. Use snappy scanner to command lock up and engages and cruises as she should. Will downshift as its suppose to and can manually shift with column. Still hard shifts and with snappy bu can command every gear.

-told customer to try replacing VSS and get back to Me so I can figure out the whining issue. Has yet to call with new sensor installed.

FINALLY- my question. What is going on with this transmission?
All sensors are plugged in, grounds are accounted for and checked. TPS is calibrated, no CEL's but trans does not shift right and speedo is way off.

Is the ECU reading the truck at low speed and that's why it is not commanding the trans to shift properly or command lock up?
-all gears and lockup can be commanded with scanner.

The customer drove this truck in 4th with no lock up to and from his work (approx 45 minutes both ways) over filled by approx 3 to 4 qts. My thinking is the cavitation of the fluid decreased the proper pressure/volume to properly lubricate the Planetaries and now damage may already be done.

-The customer feels like this is a valve body issue but was in the truck on the test ride as I commanded every function in front of him.
-he wants me to use his old valve body and see if it corrects everything but everything so far has been no charge. I need this corrected ASAP to try to make this customer happy. But I really don't want to do a full tear down/rebuild.

Is there any difference between a 2004 2WD 4L80E and a 2005 4WD 4L80E? I was under the impression 04+ were all identical.

Can anyone please give some advise on this issue?

TL;DR- traded labor for parts job on 4L80E. Used parts from both trans to make one good one. Reassembled good trans (installed by customer with new converter) doesn't shift correctly or command lock up. Speedo only reads to 35 MPH, shifts harshly, audible whining noise in first and second gear only, customer overfilled trans by approx 3 or 4 qts. Then drove 1.5 hours with trans this way. No Codes present.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Bump guys. Customer is getting new speed sensor this morning
Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

When you swapped the 4wd Output Carrier to the 2wd trans....Did you make sure it had a OSS Reluctor Wheel?? Without the Reluctor....The OSS will halfass read off the parking pawl lugs then cutout at higher speeds. Remove the OSS sensor & look through the hole....You will see if the Reluctor is present.

Top is a 4wd Output Carrier, Bottom is a 2wd with the Reluctor. If this is your issue, Sonnax sells Reluctors separately.

On the whine, Maybe the Sun Gear got installed upside down, Chamfer goes down.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
When you swapped the 4wd Output Carrier to the 2wd trans....Did you make sure it had a OSS Reluctor Wheel?? Without the Reluctor....The OSS will halfass read off the parking pawl lugs then cutout at higher speeds. Remove the OSS sensor & look through the hole....You will see if the Reluctor is present.

Top is a 4wd Output Carrier, Bottom is a 2wd with the Reluctor. If this is your issue, Sonnax sells Reluctors separately.

On the whine, Maybe the Sun Gear got installed upside down, Chamfer goes down.
Problem has been solved- the above comment was correct. The relict or wheel from the 4WD was used and causing the MPH issue. The rear planetary had some wear and a very slight amount of play causing the whine. This was a result of using used parts on a rebuild. Thank you for you're reply and correct diagnosis

Quick Reply: 04 2500 Silverado 2WD Shifting and Speedo problem after new trans